Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsk at startup

• Please log in to reply

Zen Pirate

Zen Pirate

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I restarted my PC this evening and was surprised when it began a chkdsk process. This lasted for about 20 minutes through to completion but a small amount of research tells me that I may need to do some registry editing to stop this from becoming a regular event.
What has caused this may have something to do with a problem we had a couple of days ago: My wife was using the PC and was prompted to install some Windows updates, which she did. This installed Internet Explorer 8. No apparent problems with this, so we shut down the PC as we were going out. A couple of hours later, booted up the PC and got a BSOD 'Unmountable Boot Volume' error. Luckily we also have a laptop so I was able to find a solution to this which involved running chkdsk from recovery console. Then we got another BSOD which I think was IRQL NOT LESS EQUAL. Found out that one of the causes of this may have been overheatng, and as it was a hot day and the fan seemed to be working hard during the earlier chkdsk, I let the PC cool down for 30 minutes, rebooted and all was well. I restored the PC prior to the installation of IE 8 and since then everything has seemed 'normal' until this evening's chkdsk. So any advice and guidance would be appreciated. I'm running XP on a Dell Dimension 8300. XP was installed on the PC when I bought it. I have have a copy of XP on a disc which was supplied by Dell (it is at SP1 level). PC is 5 years old. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any other downloads that you know of?
Does the chkdsk happen on every bootup now?

We can do a couple of tests to see if it is hardware related. This test will take some time so I suggest you let it run overnight to get the best results.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours or overnight if you wish.
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Zen Pirate

Zen Pirate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
rshaffer61 - Thanks for your reply.
There were no other downloads that I am aware of and the chkdsk has only happened once since my original problems. I'll be taking the steps that you recommended later and will post the outcome.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update.
If chkdsk has only happened once then this is a normal response to the system being shutdown wrong.
There may be an infection but until we can get you back up and running then that cannot be checked.
Thank you for your patience and quick response.

Zen Pirate

Zen Pirate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi rshaffer61 - I don't mean to mislead you but my PC seems to be working absolutely fine. There has indeed been only one chkdsk since I recovered from the problems that I had. The PC has been rebooted several times prior to, and since this seemingly random chkdsk without any evident problems.
The purpose of my post was to query why this isolated chkdsk occurred. If this is a normal response then it would appear that I don't have a problem.
As previously, any advice gratefully accepted.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem about misleading me. I just like to make sure before suggesting anything.
Yes the chkdsk will autorun whenever the system is shutdown incorrectly or a power outage causes the system to turn off. This is normal and Windows does this to protect the integrity of the HD as well as the OS system. Since this seems to have done exactly that and your system is having no issues then I believe your system is working correctly.
Please let me know if you have any questions or if I have answered your questions to your satisfaction. :)

Zen Pirate

Zen Pirate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
rshaffer61 - Yes I'm very happy with the answers that you've given and also impressed with the speedy response. I have just got home from work and was looking forward (not) to an evening of computer repair, but it does look like everything is OK so I can do something more productive. :)
Needless to say I will be looking out for anything unusual that may happen over the next few days, but for for the moment I just need to say thanks once again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible