Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chkdsk through vista locks up but from cd runs and completes.

• Please log in to reply

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I was working on a customers computer today and they were running a chkdsk /r in Vista which got stuck at 60 percent and would go no farther. This was weird to me because usually a chkdsk will run and come back as either failed or completed not stuck. I was able to start into normal mode and ran a few scans including Malware Bytes and SAS which deleted a few things but only adware no trojans or anything to serious.

I then tried chkdsk /r again and it ran and got stuck at the same spot. I then put in a Windows Vista Basic DVD and ran chkdsk /r from the dvd. It completed successfully without any errors on the volume. I then started back up into Windows thinking Widows must be the problem but to be sure I ran Western Digital Diagnostics. It is a Western Digital HardDrive. The diagnostics passed and everything seemed normal. I then ran SFC /scannow which did say Vista had errors but was unable to fix them all. I have never seen one in Vista come back saying it didn't have errors.

I believe that the chkdsk file is messed up somehow and I was wondering if there is anyway to fix it without reinstalling Windows. We had 3 seperate opinions on the matter and nobody could think of anything. Anyone know of something to try for future reference?

The computer was a Gateway Laptop with Windows Vista Basic. The hard drive was a 250GB Western Digital. I don't know the computers specs more than that sorry guys.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I then ran SFC /scannow which did say Vista had errors but was unable to fix them all

Vista creates sfc log.
Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
See, what errors couldn't be fixed.