Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Advice on laptop purchase

• Please log in to reply

jgolight

jgolight

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a PhD in English and need a laptop to do research, both in terms of accessing digital databases of texts, downloading PDF files, and lots of word documents, some book-length. I don't do much in the way of movie or music downloads right now, but I would like to have room on the laptop for pictures. I need it to be relatively light, though not at the expense of speed or memory, and I need a decent-size screen because I am bat-blind, probably at least 15"; 17" would be better. I would also like a relatively long-lasting battery because I will be using the computer on plane trips abroad and in libraries for long periods of time.

Problem is, I am totally baffled by the sheer quantity of laptops available. I love the look and performance of Macs, though my use of them has been limited, but they are expensive and I think they may be too much computer for what I need. They seem to be designed for designers. I'm not averse to PCs, though I have heard horrible things about Vista. I would love suggestions on a laptop that would meet these basic needs. Thanks!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I'm not averse to PCs, though I have heard horrible things about Vista.

As a researcher with a PhD, you should be ashamed to base your beliefs on anecdotal evidence. :) Really, Vista, now with two service packs released, is a very good and stable operating system. However, that's kind of a moot point, as any computer with Vista purchased after June 26th qualifies for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released in October, so you won't have to use Vista for more than a few months.

As for which laptop to get, we'd be better able to help if you could provide a budget. In general, for a smooth laptop computing experience, you want to look for a system with at least 2GB of RAM. In your case, since you'll be downloading large files, you'll want a 160GB+ mechanical hard drive, rather than a small (usually 16GB) solid state hard drive. For battery life, the more cells the battery has, the better.

jgolight

jgolight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I guess I shouldn't believe everything I hear, but for about one school year every student I had was complaining about Vista. I have heard about the upgrades available.

In terms of budget, I guess the less spent the better. I was thinking under $1000-$1200. I am glad to know about the mechanical hard drive, which is something I'd never considered before. Thanks for these suggestions!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What do you think about this one? 4GB of RAM, 320GB hard drive, 17.3" screen, and an 8-cell battery, all for $900 after mail-in rebate. The downside to it is at 8.6lbs, it's pretty hefty.

jgolight

jgolight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This one does look good; I will take a closer look at it and do some comparing with similar ones. Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.