Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my old P4 computer a total loss?

• Please log in to reply

Pascal LT

Pascal LT

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!

My problem is the following : My old P4 isn't working at all!

No fan spinning, no sign of life at all! The only thing that I see when i plug it is the "green LED" on the Motherboard.

The computer is 6 year old I think
The specification If i remember well are:
- MotherBoard P4P800 SE ASUS
- CPU P4 2,4 ghz i think ; overclocked at 5% for 4 year maybe
- Changed the videocard 2time, last time : last year (AGP 8x).
- Changed the Ram for 2x 2gig DDR2(i think) last year.
- Powersupply died 1x 2year ago, 1x last month (replaced it by an old powersupply that i had on an older computer, worked for a month) and finally all stopped working last week.

So i thought it could be the powersupply again since i didn't use a new one. Bought a new one but didn't work.

Doing some test on my own, mixing stuffs with an other computer to know iF is was because of it...

Now i know 2 things :
- The new powersupply is totaly fine
- The "Box" is fine too

There is a green LED on the motherboard working but the power doesn't seem to reach anything else. it does nothing when i hit the power button (and the box isn't the problem). The DVD, the old burner, the HD isnt working at all. No fan spinning, no BEEP! Nothing except the green led...

So im down, i think, with 2 possibility :

The motherboard is dead or/and the CPU is.

What do you think?

And what should i do. Since it is the "family computer" that will be used only for Words, Internet, Video; I don't want to buy a new computer, neither something better. I just want to patch it so i could work a bit more.

How can I know if is it the Motherboard or the CPU or both that i need to replace? Should I look for an old P4P800 again (and maybe the old CPU with it)? any thoughts of pieces that could do the trick?

Well... Thanks!

Pascal LT

Edited by Pascal LT, 08 July 2009 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
well like you said you mixed different parts with other pc's correct?well you could try mixing both parts with another computer though the process is much more difficult but not impossible just a bit more work :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the PSu turning on when you push the button on the system? Are the fans turning in PSU and on CPU?
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 July 2009 - 08:37 PM.

Pascal LT

Pascal LT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is the PSu turning on when you push the button on the system? Are the fans turning in PSU and on CPU?
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

Hi,thanks for answering.
I tryed what you asked me and still no sign of life at all.
No, the CPU fan AND the PSu Fan aren't working. still no beep, still no message.
There is no difference between the state before i hit the powerbutton and after! (Green led on the mobo is always on when the PSu is plugged.) The PSu doesn't run. nothing work!

I'm thinking of rebuying the same mobo just to do the trick. (i hope)

Pascal LT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One more test that can be performed to make sure the MOBO is not shorting out. I believe your original synopsis of the problem is correct but if you would like to run the second test then let me know.
The only other step is to try a different PSU to make sure that is not the issue.

Pascal LT

Pascal LT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yea I tryed that already;
my PSu work on an other computer but the other PSu isn't working on mine.

Edit : I will replace the old mobo. If it doesn't work, i will refresh this topic.

Anyways, thanks for your time,

Pascal LT

Edited by Pascal LT, 09 July 2009 - 12:24 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
There is 1 more possibility you can try. I can't tell you the exact pins, but will get you close.
On the board where the case power on button connects you will have 2 pins. Momentarily touch the 2 pins together. This is bypassing the power on button.