Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successf

• Please log in to reply

caker_007

caker_007

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was helping my friend over the phone clean pc with ccleaner and i think she accidentally removed one or more needed components of xp. now when she turns pc on it will say "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
a few other help desks said to do recovery and/or reload xp but she's not even givin that option, its a continuos cycle of bios and when she picks configure to last good settins or safe mode or anything the cycle starts over. no disc, no clue what to do?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello caker_007 .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, We will be happy to help you. :) :) :)

To be able to repair this you will have to borrow a XP of the same type she has (Home or Pro)

Most likely she deleted the userinit file and the only way to replace it is to have the OS disk.
A repair installation is also a option but as you know that will require the disk also.
Can you supply some info on the system itself?
Mainly laptop or desktop?
Make and Model?

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 July 2009 - 09:10 PM.

caker_007

caker_007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay its a hp pavillion505n
and before we did the cleaner we did back up files and created a restore point both. I know there was nothing wrong with the cleaning program because i use it regularly and simultaniusly with her.
every answer states to do system recovery or to type in the command prompts but it keeps cycling not giving command prompts. we tried all the options safe mode etc... but it just keeps cycling. she has no disc so do u thing borrowing or buying it and putting it in would be helpfull?

caker_007

caker_007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry desktop and home edition as well !

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as the borrowed disk is the same type then the reg number that should be on the side of her system should work.
How old is the system?
When you say no disk do you mean there was no disk included with the system when she bought it brand new?
This is important because if there wasn't then that would mean there is a recovery partition on the drive already and we can do this without a disk.

caker_007

caker_007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
she actually got it used off of family, so i'm not sure if there was a disk brand new.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does this sound like her system HERE?

If so then it looks like I need to do some research. According to the spec sheet there was recovery software.
If that is the case then you or her will have to do as I suggested before and borrow a OS disk.
Do you know if her reg number is still on the side of the system?
Another ideal is you may be able to purchase a recovery cd from HP for a small fee.
It may be worth a call to them just so she has it from now on.

caker_007

caker_007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay unfortunately i can't reach her right now to answer those questions - the description u gave sounds like her pc. im very frustrated because i feel she made this error because of my directions.

so even with the system not completely starting up, it should still be able to read the disk when she tries to reinstall. i hope that works for her. i will follow up tommorrow with her... thank you

is there a way to tell if you are online to follow up with u?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am usually online and if you post a response I should be able to get back to you. If not just send me a pm and I will respond here in the topic.