Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hotmail password help!

• Please log in to reply

x-pri-x

x-pri-x

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi basically in febraury 2009 my ex boyfriend found out my hotmail password and changed all of my details and my password secret question and everything and now 6 months laterr we have broken up and i really want it back he made a new email address for me while we were together for work and stuff and hes even chaged that password :| but that doesnt really matter dnt want it as much i jus want my old one back
iv tried looking on the internet everywhere on how to do it but nothings useful and i contacted hotmail and a person from them emailed back asking me to answer questions to prove im the original owner but she says that my information does not match the original or something but that is because he changed the details which i already informed her on
can somebody please help me i have years of contacts and important emails on my old email address
iv even tried to ask him back for my password but he refuses, this might sound stupid but is it worth going to the police?

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Technically, there is nothing you can do. You will not receive any help here with breaking into the account, so that is out of the question. I'm not saying that is what you're attempting to do, but I'm giving a warning to anyone else who might think of this option.

In order for you to go to the police, you will have to prove that he did something wrong. Since you GAVE him your password (which you should absolutely never do with anyone), he didn't steal it.

I am not advocating that you do anything illegal or unethical, however there are many things that a scorned woman can do to get back at a guy (not speaking from personal experience, all my x-girlfriends think I'm great!). Eventually he will get sick of putting up with you and give you what you want, you just have to be persistent and patient.

x-pri-x

x-pri-x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i didnt give him my password he hacked me therefore i can go to the police about it right?

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
not unless you have solid proof he "hacked" your account, if its just your word against his its not worth your time.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I'm not going to get involved in what is effectively the result of a domestic and private row, but realistically for the sake of 90 seconds of signing up for a new Hotmail account which are free anyway, this issue over a changed passwordis not worth pursing.

Open a new account, use that one and forget about the old one. You're not going to get it back so you may as well forget it ever existed.

Hotmail will only use the details that are in the account to verify the account holder so if they've been changed then the game is over. Hotmail cannot verify who stole who's password in whichever way it was acquired so it's an avenue they are not going to entertain.

With regards to "hacking", this is a serious accusation to throw at anybody without any proof and if you were living together realistically your ex-partner is not going to hack himself. It may say a lot about your own attitude towards password security, if your ex-partner was able to guess it it probably wasn't very secure to start with and if that was the case you will not have a leg to stand on.

Your best bet from here is set up a new account at Hotmail, tell NOBODY the password, and use the account as your primary account. It is not worth kicking up a huge fuss over an email address that cost you nothing in the first place.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi x-pri-x, Welcome to Geeks To Go,

Yeah, to everything that every one said up there *pointing up*

:) Might I also suggest a new boyfriend, with nice big muscles, a ball bat, and a tire iron?

I figure that after your X has received his comeuppance, for about fifteen minutes, he'll gladly give you back what belongs to you, quit his job, and leave town in the middle of the night too.

Just a thought, :) I mean such has worked for me in the past.

Wendy

Edited by wendy k. walker, 21 July 2009 - 06:22 PM.

Brafu

Brafu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have to agree with most everyone else. You're out of luck. I doubt the police would even bother to get involved for something this small, even though I know its a huge issue for you. The sad fact is that this just isn't even close to important enough for them to expend resources on, just to get something returned to you that holds no quantifiable dollar value. All you lost was a free email addy, your email contacts, and old emails. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but realistically it's simply not worth the polices efforts.

And, as someone who takes his security seriously, I doubt he "hacked" your account. More than likely he simply guessed your password (sadly, most people use very weak passwords still), or you left yourself signed in when you used your email, and forgot to clear out your password.

You also need to accept the very real possibility that he's deleted all your contacts and emails and is simply keeping the account active to drive you insane. If he let it go inactive and be deleted, then you would be given some closure knowing that it was lost forever. But, this way he gets to see you squirm, knowing that you still see a chance to get your info back, even if he knows it's gone forever.

My advice is to simply move on and accept the lost of the account, and all the info it contained, as a valuable lesson in security and pledge not to make the same mistake again. I know it's a painful lesson, but those typically tend to be the ones we take to heart the fastest.

PS. a good password should NEVER EVER be a word, or anything resembling a word. It should contain numbers, letters (upper and lower case), and symbols like $&@ and such. There are more than a few free programs out there that'll generate strong passwords for you that are impossible to guess and hard to crack. There are also password managers (such as roboform) that'll save passwords for you for various sites.

Edited by Brafu, 27 July 2009 - 10:59 AM.