Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

TARGET66

TARGET66

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just like to thank members who helped especially Star Hawk. Spent days tapping the F8 key to get to Safe Mode without success. Star Hawk suggested I try the CTRL key and it worked. I have now completed the defragmentation. F8 may work with XP but CTRL is better for W98. Thanks again.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Actually, the key used to get to safe mode isn't configured by the Operating System, it's configured by the Motherboard's Manufacturer. So for your paricular system, you would use the Control Key to get to Safe Mode even if you upgrade to XP.

Glad to hear Star Hawk was able to assist you in your time of need. Way to go Star!

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Glad to be of help TARGET66 ;)

I'm new here but it feels good to help someone. :)

Unfortunately on some machines F8 doesn't work, I always suspected the motherboards but never cared enuff to research the topic.

Also ya may be interested to know that the shift key on some machines will get ya into safe mode without that startup menu! it works on this one. :tazz:

I usually don't go into safe mode to defrag i just kill all processes but explorer.exe (don't kill that!!). First i close all open windows, then i right click and choose exit (or whatever means exit) on every icon in my taskbar. And to ensure nothing is left I try CTRL ALT DEL and close the rest ....Except for explorer. Then I run defrag. ;)