Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop Connection question

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Quick question, I have been able to set up a remote desktop connection from this laptop running vista home premium to a desktop running windows xp media center edition and I'm able to roam around no problem. But I'm just curious if I would be able to tap into it and do work while someone can watch what I'm doing on screen. See right now as soon as I log into it the profile is logged off on the desktop and if I log back in, the laptop is booted out. Anyone know how to change this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
IIRC you cannot have 2 connections to the same user. You can only be logged in to RDC or Locally (physical at the machine). For what your asking you would need a program like VNC to connect to your XP MCE machine, then you can see what is going on locally by being logged in remotely at the same time.

Short answer no.

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

IIRC you cannot have 2 connections to the same user. You can only be logged in to RDC or Locally (physical at the machine). For what your asking you would need a program like VNC to connect to your XP MCE machine, then you can see what is going on locally by being logged in remotely at the same time.

Short answer no.

I actually found out what I was doing wrong but thank you for your response anyways. I was using the wrong application, I was using Remote Desktop Connection when I should have been using Windows Remote Assistance. Case closed.