Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway recovery needed gateway sucks

• Please log in to reply

onica64

onica64

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys I am not a geek, son is but in the Navy so I need serious help....gateway cannot seem to locate their own serial number so I am stuck with a useless laptop..I have a mp6954 model and the geek squad at bestbuys has installed new harddrive and that is all...I cannot get a recovery disk to save my life...can anyone help? They tell me I need a white gateway recovery disk that has window xp restore cd media center 2005...if I can't what else can I do to get info on the hard drive? They tell me they can get the drivers but I still need the installs.... :)

Advertisements

cbmm

cbmm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the same problem. Gateway said they no longer made the recovery media for MP6954.
Were you able to get the recovery media? Did you find out any resources where you could get the recovery media? Please let me know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and you should be able to decipher which drivers you need for your laptop.
Now as far as the OS you will have to do some work with that. On the bottom of the laptop should be a sticker with the OS originally installed on it and the registration key.
If that is there you could borrow a XP disk of the same type ...in your case XP Media Center 2005... Install with that disk and use your reg key. Then you will have to install the drivers from the page I just linked to.
Word to the wise...once you have all the correct drivers downloaded then burn them to a cd for future reference. :) :) :)
Let me know if this works out for you. :)