Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Configuring updates... then reboots and does it again

• Please log in to reply

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
My windows will not work, it starts up, gets to the vista logo screen, then says "Configuring updates...(3/3)" then suddenly says "Shutting down" then reboots and does the exact same, If I try to get into safemode it just instantly says "Shutting down" as soon as it finishes loading the drivers and stuff, so now I'm on ubuntu typing this message out, is there any way of fixing this? windows update screwed my vista business sp1 :)

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

Unfortunately this is a known glitch in Vista's update process. The order in which the updates are installed in screwed up and it installs an update that needs an update it installs later on.

See this article: http://news.softpedi...SP1-78933.shtml

You will need to perform a system repair using your Vista installation CD and then start updating your system from scratch. A system repair does not delete your personal files, it only resets the operating system to its defaults and removes all updates.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
When you start updating your system again make sure and download and install the following update before any other updates:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Sony didn't supply any installation media other than an XP Pro sp2 disk, and a recovery partition to burn disks, I made the recovery disks but they don't contain a normal vista install

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
See this website to learn how to create your own repair disk should you not have one:

http://www.howtogeek...-dont-have-one/

You will need another system, and a blank cd to complete this.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I did what you said and made a recovery disk, and used Repair my computer, unluckily after it system restored, it said "Configuring updates step (1/3)" then skipped to 3/3, rebooted, then did the exact same but stayed on step 3, any other fix?
EDIT: also, my computer already had SP1 and most updates other than the very new ones

Edited by stupidhomer, 10 July 2009 - 06:26 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I'm sorry to hear that. Did you get several restore points to go to when you attempted this fix?

You might have to repair your computer to an earlier time. Preferably before SP1 was installed.

Edited by NeonFx, 10 July 2009 - 06:30 PM.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
No, it didnt give me any option, only to restore to the last successful boot, which wasn't actually successful as it were the time when it came onto the Configuring Updates Step 3/3 glitch

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Please follow the instructions in the following guide to see if the cd can repair your system:

http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

Also, to make sure you followed the correct procedure for a Restore see this guide:

http://www.bleepingc...utorial142.html

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
If that does not solve your problem, Microsoft offers free support via email at:

http://support.micro...=ph;en-us;11732

This is a known glitch in an update of theirs and I am sure they know more about it than I can find in my research.

Feel free to link them to this thread so that they know what you have tried.

Advertisements

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I think because I have business it isn't free... All the options say i have to pay 46 pounds for support via email, or chat
EDIT: There was only one restore point, and that was on the 30th of june, which still gives me the configuring updates thing then loops restarting

Edited by stupidhomer, 10 July 2009 - 07:11 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
My apologies, it was my belief that this was still a free service. It must have changed since the last time I recommended it.

Did the steps not work?

Edited by NeonFx, 10 July 2009 - 07:11 PM.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

My apologies, it was my belief that this was still a free service. It must have changed since the last time I recommended it.

Did the steps not work?

No, they didn't work, there was only ONE single restore point, that was on 30/06/09 which still had the Configuring Updates glitch :)

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I wonder why they do not offer support for free to business systems.

The steps I went through were:

• Windows Vista Ultimate (All Languages)
  • I use it for my own personal use
  • Was vista installed when you purchased the system? yes
  • Windows Update -> Issues after installing... -> Other

And it says: No-Charge options: Unlimited Support requests.

What steps did you follow?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
You still have not replied as to whether you have tried an Automatic Startup Repair. This is different from a Restore. I gave you the link to the tutorial a few posts back.

Also, the support is probably only free for people in the United States. I'm sorry if this is the case.

Your only other option would be to reinstall the OS.

Edited by NeonFx, 10 July 2009 - 07:21 PM.