Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Couple of quick questions about processors

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hey guys, I'm not looking to buy or anything, just in search of knowledge here :)

1. Why do the Core 2 Quad Yorkfield processors cost more than the Core i7? (Core 2 links: here and here. Core i7 link: here)
2. Why does the Core 2 Extreme processor cost more than the Core i7 Extreme? (Core 2 Extreme: here; Core i7 Extreme: here)

I ask because it was my understanding that i7 was the latest and greatest processor technology and that its hyperthreading and increased number of transistors allow it to outperform any Core 2 Quad processor. Clearly this isn't the case if Intel still wants more money for some of their Core 2 processors? A technical explanation would be great!

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Nothing technical about it. Supply and demand. An increase in the quantity produced or supplied will typically result in a reduction in price and vice-versa

Core 2 uses Socket 775 boards and mostly DDR2 memory, both of which are widely available and will continue to be widely available for a good while to come.
i7 uses the new Socket 1366 and DDR3 memory. Socket 1366 and i7 processors cost an arm and a leg and brand new technology is usually only adopted by people who are either adoptees of the latest and greatest, or have too much money in the first place. Most new technologies take three or four waves to be technically solid and by then it's pretty much perfect. It took the adoption of DDR2 and Core 2 Duo support on Socket 775 before they really took off having been around for three years previously anyway.

There is more demand at the moment for Socket 775 and Core 2 Duo. Intel produces goods that people want to buy and at the moment the overall demand is for the top end Core 2 Quads. i7 has only been out a few months and while it it is selling, typically it will take a while for prices to stabilise. Eventually as Socket 775 processors and technology becomes phased out when it's not worth doing any longer, i7 prices and technologies will become the norm once those Socket 775 systems begin to wear out and die and people come round to the idea "it's not worth sticking a new board in when I can go i7/whatever for half a much again" and get a better deal.