Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing memory to Acer laptop

• Please log in to reply

cinfreese

cinfreese

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

I am having problems installing memory to my Acer Aspire 1691 Wlmi laptop. I want to add 1 GB of memory (DDR 333, 333 MHz, PC2700, 200 p SODIMM, 2.5 v) and no matter which slot I insert the memory, my computer is not recognizing it nor does it fully boot up. I have tried it alone in both slots, and also with the 256 chip that I already had (before I had two 256 chips--512 total). Nothing seems to work. I did try one 256 alone, and that worked, so the chips do not need to be installed in pairs. I talked with the rep from the company I bought the chip, and she advised me to contact ACER to see if I need a BIOS update; however, I have to pay to talk to them since I am not under warranty. Does anyone know why I am encountering this problem. When I try to boot up with the 1 GB, it takes me to the F2 setup screen, but I cannot get past that. It also keeps bringing me to a screen that asks if I want to start windows in safe mode, from last settings, or in normal mode. I have tried them all. I was able to completely boot up with the 1 GB and one 256 chip, but my computer didn't recognize the 1 GB. My current BIOS version is S3C11. I also found on my computer the BIOS that reads Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 release 6.1 (in case you need this info). An error also read "System configuration data updated error" and "resource conflict-allocation error static node #11 and node #15". Thought I would include that in case it is important. Could this memory chip be bad (the rep says this does happen sometimes) or do I need to update BIOS so my computer recognizes the newer technology, or is it that I just cannot upload new memory?

Sorry for the lengthly message. Please help! I would greatly appreciate it!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hello.
Are you still having issues with the memory?

I have found some interesting info on your laptop. I have conflicting info on what it uses.
The Specification sheet shows 2x256mb DDR2 ram.

The only manual I could find was for the Model 1690 and it lists DDR333 ram.

Both the DDR2 and DDR use 200 pin sodimm modules. From what I could find, they are interchangeable, except that To use DDR or DDR2 memory, your system motherboard must have 200-pin SODIMM slots and a DDR- or DDR2-enabled chipset.

I would suggest that you see what http://<strong class...span></strong>/ or http://<strong class...span></strong>/ memory configurators have to say.

123runner

cinfreese

cinfreese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much for your reply and checking into my problem. Yes, there is conflicting information, as the helpful representative from Archmemory told me when she looked it up. My memory is DDR not DDR2, which I found out when I first ordered the wrong memory and it didn't fit into the slot in the computer. The second memory I got didn't work either, and I am hoping the third memory I will receive will be the winner and work. My fingers are crossed. Thanks!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Please let us know how you make out.