Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Missing in system tools

• Please log in to reply

steve20491

steve20491

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Win XP Home SP2
System restore has disappeared from system tools, however, using Advanced Windows Care I am able to create restore points. This is what I have attempted so far to find SR:
I have tried to locate the sr.inf file to install. The system restore file is there but not sr.inf. I am unabe to use my XP installation disc because my CD Rom drive is not working. I have also tried the command to restore the file: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, both from the command prompt and also the Run box. I am told the path can not be found. I have run a complete virus and ad-ware scan and they show no problems. I am unable to buy a new CD Rom drive right now, so if anyone can think of a way to fix this problem other than using my CD Disc, I would appreciate it. I have also downloaded the sr.inf file, but when I try to install it I am prompted for my xp home disc.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try running a sfc /scannow from the command line and have your XP disc handy.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

If you go to Start > right click on "My Computer" go to "Properties" , do you see a System Restore tab to enable and disable it?

Also, if you boot into safemode, (you continuously press F8 as your computer is turning on and select "Safe Mode"), do you get a prompt, as soon as you sign in, to open "System Restore"?

an SFC /scannow won't work because it needs a backup of the file anyway. And he doesn't have the CD.

Edited by NeonFx, 09 July 2009 - 04:57 PM.

steve20491

steve20491

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried the command while in safe mode to no avail. Still trying different things. Thanks for the quick reply.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
What command?

Do you mean %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe ?

What file are you trying to "restore". Do you mean the shortcut in Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools?

Do you get the restore program to run at all? When you went into safemode, did you not get the prompt that asks you to press a button to open the system restore applet?

You didn't answer any question I asked you

Edited by NeonFx, 09 July 2009 - 05:30 PM.

steve20491

steve20491

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Lets not get off on the wrong foot! In my original post, I said that I had run the restore command (the only command I have been referring to since my original post, (%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe)at both the command prompt and also at the run box. I also tried in safe mode. When I boot in safe mode and select the sytem restore option, nothing happens. I am NOT able to run system restore from any point, including my original problem that it is missing from system tools. I have not only tried to answer all of your questions, I tried to be as complete as possible in stating my problem. I am grateful for any help offered, however, please do not talk to me as if I were an elementary school child. Thank you.

Edited by steve20491, 09 July 2009 - 06:03 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I appologize steve, that was not my intention. I just wanted to know more about the problem to better help you. You were not making yourself clear enough and me not understanding was probably my fault. The fact that you did not answer the questions directly led me to believe I was being ignored.

For the information Microsoft provides for problems with the system restore program see this article: http://support.micro...kb/302796/en-us

If nothing in that article helps you, you will need to run an sfc /scannow and use an OS disk that matches your installation.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

System restore has disappeared from system tools

.Do you mean that the system restore tab is missing or is it greyed out?
Are you getting an error that is similar to being disabled due to group policy?

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

This will not restore the file. It is just another way to open system restore by going right to the executable. Basicly it is the same as going to the executable file of a program in a folder versus using the shortcut.

Please let me know if you are getting any error, and if so, what it is.

123runner

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Anyone else think this could be possibly malware related? :)

-mp

steve20491

steve20491

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, it's not greyed out....it is missing. However I can find restore points using another program, so it is still in the computer. I am not able to run system restore even from the safe boot mode choosing system restore. When I do that no window opens, showing system restore.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As to a possible infection, yes. That is definately in the back of my mind.

I know you said you tried to locate the SR.inf file, but, I need you to try again.
Go to start...run...and type in C:\windows\inf and see if you can find the file.
If you find the file, then do the following.
Choose "Install".
In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sys file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, (or a good option for those without a Windows XP CD would be to browse the computer itself in the “C\i386” folder) click the “Sr.sys” file, and then click OK.
Follow the prompts, Reboot and System Restore should be ready to use.

Something else to check is the following:
Make sure the System Restore Service is "started" and operational.. Click on Start-Run, type "services.msc", then click on OK. When the Services" window loads, scroll to the "System Restore Service" listing and double click on it. It should be started and the "Startup Type" should be Automatic.

123runner

steve20491

steve20491

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Am able to locate the sr.inf file (it's in the right place) but when I try to install I still get prompted to use the cd rom drive with my xp disc. As far as clicking browse, all that does is request a location to look for the needed files, it does not tell me which files are needed. Re: Services...I have checked several times to make sure the service is on and on automatic.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This sounds like a definite infection. Anytime system restore is unable to be found it ends up being an infection.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

steve20491

steve20491

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Followed all the directions, downloads amd program runs to the letter and there is not malware or infections found. I feel I have taken up enough valuable time with this issue, therefore, you may feel free to close it out. I will buy a new CD Rom drive next week and solve the problem using my XP disc. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have not taken up any of our time. This is what we love to do. None of this was ever in vain.
From the beginning, I was considering this being malware related.
I will still suggest that you go through the malware forum and have them pronounce you clean.
You will lose nothing in doing this, but gain the satisfaction that your computer is clean.
You can do that while your are waiting to get the CD drive.

After that if you still have problems, please return here and we can continue. The next step would be needing the XP cd and of course a operational CD drive.

123runner