Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe missing, no desktop icons or start menu

• Please log in to reply

almost there

almost there

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey forum, how are you doing??? I am looking for some help in solving a problem with my Windows XP system. I'm pretty sure that I recently came across a bad virus, or some sort of malware, etc.... I tried removing it with a combo of AVG and Spybot, and it looks like it took care of the spyware problem, but left me with a new one.

Everything seems to run fine and windows will actually boot up, but my desktop has disappeared for some reason. All that I can see is my desktop background right now. All my icons on my desktop have disappeared as well as the start button. I searched online for solutions and found many other people with the same problems but could not come up with anything that would help me out.

I have not been able to locate explorer.exe anywhere in the registry at all so I am not quite sure where it went to or how I am able to get it back. I have exhausted my options and am hoping someone knows what I may do. I do not have the XP discs to reload or else I would just try to reinstall Windows again. I would like to try and save everything and solve the problem without having to reload the os. I am including a hijackthis report below just in case it will help....

Thanks for taking your time to take a look at my problem!!!

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
It's possible you have a virus on your system, so I suggest you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal forum.

Before you start a new topic, please go through the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will remove 70% of the problems on your computer alone, and will get your computer ready for the experts to take a look.

If the problem persists once your system has been cleaned by one of our Malware Removal Experts, then repost in this topic and we can start looking at other options.