Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reboots when trying to load windows

• Please log in to reply

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I use windows XP and my computer has been working fine. I needed to upgrade my computer so I got a better motherboard and CPU (phenom II X4). Nothing else changed, I didn't even take the hard drives out, just plugged them back in after swapping the motherboard.

But now, as it gets to the windows loading screen it reboots. :) I can load it in safe mode okay, but when I try to open the installation/drivers CD is freezes. I was able to load all the drivers by the found new hardware wizard and telling it to look in the CD drive for the drivers. But, if I had it try to find them automatically (the default setting of the wizard) it rebooted.

Does anyone have any idea what to do? Surely nothing could be messed up on the harddrive as I didn't do anything with them!

Any clue what could be wrong?

Advertisements

lotus8

lotus8

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
what service pack do have?

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
SP3

lotus8

lotus8

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ru doing a fressh install of windows?

lotus8

lotus8

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
i ask because u r loading drivers

hardwarebugs

hardwarebugs

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi
check the fan. Is it working properly?
Blow the dust and try.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes, fan is working properly, no dust at all...immaculate! No fresh install of windows, just had to install a bunch of drivers for all the new hardware because of the new motherboard.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I just got a new motherboard and need to repair windows. I've heard stories of people who have repaired and ended up having to reinstall a punch of programs and stuff. I just want it to do what it needs to do to make my new motherboard work and not mess anything else up. So, I'm scared to run repair.

What is the risk that it might mess something up and cause me to have to reinstall programs? (I have SP3 btw) I know I'll have to redo the updates which isn't a big deal.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, what are you using for an XP cd?

Murray

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
XP home sp1 disk

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

XP home sp1 disk

Did it come with the original computer or another one?

Murray

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
no, but it is the one we used to put XP on it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then, unless it is a Microsoft Retail cd (big bucks) and not an OEM (cheaper), you are going to need a new XP install cd as that cd is forever married to the original system it was installed on. Since you changed the mobo, that system is now a "new" system as far as Microsoft is concerned and use of that cd is against their EULA.

Murray

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
It's retail. :) So, is there any danger of losing information doing the repair? Specifically, will I have to reinstall any programs?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was windows working correctly before the new MOBO?
If so then you need to install MOBO drivers disk. You may have to reregister windows with Microsoft.
Your original post doesn't pinpoint a problem with windows but only that you want the new MOBO to work correctly correct?