Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reboots when trying to load windows

• Please log in to reply

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes everything was working fine before putting in the new mobo. I can't install the new drivers until I can load windows. I did go into safe mode installed them manually using the install wizard. But, it still didn't load windows.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you go into the bios and make sure the boot sequence was set correctly to boot to the HD and if the bios see's the hd?
If Windows was not a issue before then the issue is the MOBO not recognizing HD or wrong boot sequence.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 July 2009 - 08:01 PM.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
yep. the mobo support says I need to repair windows for it to see the mobo.

I just want to make sure there isn't a danger of losing anything or the workability of installed programs if I do the repair.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can boot into windows into safe mode so the problem is more sounding like a driver problem.
Do you get any error message or BSOD when trying to boot into normal mode?

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
nope, it just reboots a few seconds after it starts trying to load windows. I agree, it sounds like a driver problem. I tried to uninstall the old drivers based on a website I read but it didn't help. It would be nice if there was a way to find out what drivers were the problem and could just get rid of them and put in the new ones!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Honestly I have never had a issue with a MOBO doing this.
I just rebuilt my wife's system with all new parts except Main hd.
I booted up and everything loaded fine. I loaded new mobo drivers disk and that was it.
I'm not sure what the mobo wants windows to repair.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
me either. If you know of a way to fix the drivers so it will work that would be awesome. If I have to repair, is that safe?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A repair installation under normal situations is safe. I will warn you though as we are dealing with software there is always a chance of something going wild.
I have done a repair installation several dozens of times and not once had a problem. That is not to say there is always that one time.
I'm sure Murray will agree that if there is any important data you want to make sure is safe then we would suggest doing a backup of that data.
If this is not a issue then you can do the repair installation. Just make sure you are doing a repair installation and not a fresh install or a parallel installation.
If you cd is retail as you state then you should be ok. You still may have to reactivate through Microsoft since the MOBO is new.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks, man! That's what I needed to know. I'm currently backing up the important files, which is taking a while. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
FYI a little help.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Advertisements

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Wow, you are a lifsaver! I was going to use the recover console! yikes! So glad you decided to offer that!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome. Let us know how everything works out.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Okay, I tried to repair, but that option was not given to me. The windows installation on my Sata drive was fine before changing motherboards. Instead of giving the option to repair it just says I can select a new partition or delete one. It says it found a windows folder.

What can I do? It's a SATA drive that's over 200gb is that a problem? If so, is there something I can do???

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Okay, my dad bought my computer and put Windows XP on it and he said that it was a retail CD, but I looked on it and it says OEM. Is there nothing I can do?

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
BTW, now all of a sudden it won't boot up at all, it says NTLDR is missing. ??? I tried one site's suggestion of doing the system recovery and typing bootcfg so I'm assuming that messed it up? I tried typing bootcfg /rebuild and it said it wasn't a valid command. So I just restarted the computer and now it says the NTLDR is missing. I went back and did the bootcfg /rebuild this time adding boot.ini to hopefully fix the problem but it still says it's missing when I try to boot the computer.

Edited by hoodleehoo, 12 July 2009 - 07:42 PM.