Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What software should I buy?

• Please log in to reply

loser

loser

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi,
I make basic websites now but would like to make a little fancier ones. I can't master really hard stuff, but can someone recommend a website-making product that I could order? I guess I'm probably asking if flash is a major undertaking.
I use Dreamweaver MX 2004 right now.

If you need to know what level I'm at: http://www.kmkcycling.com

thx

Advertisements

tychobarnard

tychobarnard

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I would recommend learning how to script css + xhtml from scratch. In my experience, software-generated codes are larger than necessary and sometimes dont even work in all browsers. A quick look in your source code shows that you're using tables for the layout. Using css (div's) to build it is adviced.

As for software; I'm using adobe dreamweaver, but just because it shows php code in a usefull way, but for practicing you can also use notepad if you like.

Now, for graphics, I would recommend Adobe Fireworks. Especially for webdesign, because it's all easier to edit later and all shapes you draw are vectors. But that's my opinion. I bet u can do good with photoshop too. I've used other software (for example Paint Shop Pro), but wouldn't recommend it. It might be cheaper but it didn't have all the things i need for my designing.

You can take a look around at w3schools.com for tutorials and more information about the importance of valid scripting. Good luck!

Edited by tychobarnard, 01 August 2009 - 08:31 AM.

dylangle3

dylangle3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am a dreamweaver lover also my version is cs2.
CSS, php and javascript are my course that is after HTML of course. Order may vary depending on your requirement.

Luke1988

Luke1988

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
if you are writing some of the code yourself in dreamweaver, and not just using it to generate its own code then i would recommend sticking with it. upgrading to Adobe dreamweaver CS2 or above is advisable though. (easier to use and offers better features)

i agree with tychobarnard, tables should not be used when designing websites. DIV tags and CSS offer a much better way of getting the site to look exactly how you want it to. they also improve your sites compatibility and accessibility.

w3schools.com is the best place to start learning this and other code techniques.

hope this helps

**Luke**