Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there any life in this laptop?

• Please log in to reply

ZakK

ZakK

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there.

I do apology – I did post this q originally to xp system forums (the post is here: http://www.geekstogo...m-t244871.html). But let me ask you hardware guys/girls:

I have lap top Sony Viao PSG-FX801 for few years now, and regularly (every 6 months or so) I do the format.

And 2 days started the format and there was power cut in the area; when power come back, turn the LT on and now the first screen is “error loading operating system_”.

This is what was done before the power cut: booted from cd, deleted old partition, create new one, and it started to format actually... so the power cut was I think while formatting

So, by that logic, the hd started to be formatted, but format was not completed... and I think this is the correct status of the hd now.

The current picture is: when laptop is turned on, for a sec pops up black screen with the sony letters in the middle (as it should be when everything was fine), and then black screen with “Error loading operating system”... at this point, as well as on “sony screen”, I cannot do anything with and of keys on keyboard and cannot access anything...

Is there any way to boot laptop in this condition?
Is there maybe way to take the hd out and attach it to something else as secondary, and format from there?
Anything else I can try?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Rgds. Zak

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off the CD again and format the drive again.

ZakK

ZakK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Neil, and thanks for the reply.

Well, I can't.

I was trying to do that but the situation is the same... black screen pops up immediately with the message “error loading operating system_”.

Is there any way to go around it.

ZakK

ZakK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry - one more thing – when is xp cd in and when booted, it takes few more seconds than without it to show the massage of previous post – so somehow its “happening” something in there (although I have no idea what)

ZakK

ZakK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, just update on this – open the laptop, pull the parts out and put it back... boot it from cd, and now I am in format stage... so it will take format time (10-15min) + 39 min of xp install...

Still don’t know what is the situation with bios... but we’ll see when the xp install complete how everything is working.

No idea why is now working... but I’m keeping the fingers x