Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Toshiba Laptop - PARTIAL blank screen

• Please log in to reply

cliffdodge

cliffdodge

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite, 17 in screen, Windows XP, 1gb memory

Recently, the screen went partially blank. If you divide the screen's width into 6 sections, the far left works, the next 2 do not (black area) and the right 3 work. I can make the windows smaller and work on the right side.

I've hooked to an external monitor with no issues at all. Took the laptop apart and disconnected then reconnected the ribbon cable at both ends. Same thing. This morning the black bars turned to blue and then back to black.

I am not new to tearing a computer down, but am new to working with laptops. Any advice?

Thanks
cliff

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just answered another topic with a laptop and a blank screen.
I will advise you the same. It sounds like your LCD is shorting out or is failing.
Take it to a shop and ask them to give you a estimate on the repair.
In most cases you will find the cost is going to be high and that buying a new laptop would be more cost effective in the long run.
Please let us know what you find out from the shop.

cliffdodge

cliffdodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I will take your advice and thanks!

Please keep in mind, my post is different in that the screen actually displays something. I just have two bands where the window doesn't display. The bands will change colors or flicker a bit, whereas other posts report a completely blank screen.

I will have someone look at it and most likely order a replacement LCD which I'll install.

Thanks!
cliff

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A easy way to check is to connect an external monitor and see if the problme happens on it. If not then it's your LCD.

This will save you a trip to the shop also as you will already have the answer. Most likely it will be the same way they will test it also.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Rshaffer, you missed (and we all do)

I've hooked to an external monitor with no issues at all

which means the LCD is shot.

Since you did not give us a model (which did not matter for a screen issue), I can't get you any closer to a manual for you that this link. Toshiba Product Service Manuals

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
123Runner you are correct, I did miss that.
Thank you for pointing that out and at this point I have to agree with you that the LCD is shot. :)