Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NTLDR error?

• Please log in to reply

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.
If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest: http://www.techspot....topic62524.html

How do I know how many RAM modules I have installed? I didn't install any sort of RAM device that I know of: but I'm not sure if it just came with one. And if it came with two: how to start it one stick at a time.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You'll have to turn the laptop off, turn it up side down, remove RAM bay cover, and check.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
http://support.dell....ry.htm#wp999869

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Are you sure there is no other way to check? If I told you the model and such that I have- is there a way of finding out the default number of RAM drives or such that there are? I never had another RAM installed- and there are some slight problems I'm having with getting the screw removed and the only person in the home that is good with the tools is asleep. So if it does turn out my model only has one- this could be continued. Otherwise I suppose I'll have to wait anyway.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go here: http://support.dell....o...ab=1&~ck=mn
Enter your service tag number, and see how many RAM modules were originally installed.

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Go here: http://support.dell....o...ab=1&~ck=mn
Enter your service tag number, and see how many RAM modules were originally installed.

I don't see anything with RAM (random access memory, right?) but I did find a memory module- Dual In-line Memory Module 512MB, 533, 64X64, 8K, 200.

Considering it's a dual- would that mean they are two and are treated as two separate units, or are they just one unit- meaning I can use the website you gave me?
Sorry for being such a pest, but also, how would I run the website? I can't access anything via my computer. I'll try safe mode but I'm not exactly sure it will work. Can I write the program or a similar program to a disk? At the moment, trying to open it from this PC is a bit of problem- I get an error message that it is taking too long to respond. So I'm not sure if what you're giving me is just instructions or a test to run on the problem notebook .

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You have 1 RAM unit.
If you go to my link, it'll tell you how to create bootable CD (using working computer) to run memtest.

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
How long is this supposed to go on. exactly? There is an underscore under L1 Cache and it's been running tests for an hour and a half about. It's been running the same I believe it was 8 tests repeatedly and it goes through each one successfully. What do I do?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is how it works. Each pass runs same 8 tests. You need to run at least 5 passes.

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've already run 5 passes. What do you do when all 5 passes have run?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Press Esc button to reboot.
No errors?

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
None. And I did as you said- I hit ESC and let it reboot. However, I received the NTLDR error again. Should I put to the CD from before?

Edited by Ludo Siren, 13 July 2009 - 03:27 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since this error happens when you boot from CD, we can eliminate hard drive problem.
I suspect, there is something wrong with that single RAM stick.
I'd replace it with two new 512MB sticks.
XP with 1GB of RAM will be flying anyway.
That's my advice, short of going to the computer shop for further diagnose.

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Since this error happens when you boot from CD, we can eliminate hard drive problem.
I suspect, there is something wrong with that single RAM stick.
I'd replace it with two new 512MB sticks.
XP with 1GB of RAM will be flying anyway.
That's my advice, short of going to the computer shop for further diagnose.

Alright. Is there somewhere I can purchase replacements, as well as instructions on how to install them? Or any specific branch of technicians I should go to if further diagnosis is needed?
Terribly sorry for being pesky- but I also noticed this:
After an attempt to boot from the CD after running memtest, I received an error I had before that showed up before my original adapter died, and hasn't showed up on this new one until now.
It's saying:

"The AC adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge.

Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter.
Strike the F3 key (before the F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning messages again.

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics."

Edited by Ludo Siren, 13 July 2009 - 04:13 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can get your RAM here: http://www.crucial.c.....nspiron E1705

As for more testing, almost any computer shop will do. Avoid giants, like Geek Squad.