Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External RAID 1 volume not recognized by Windows

• Please log in to reply

ndyackel

ndyackel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,

I have a 5 bay eSATA enclosure, with two 1 Tb Hitachi drives inside mirroring one another. I've been using this as my storage for all media related stuff (mp3s mostly), with the drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

I recently went out of town for the weekend, and when I returned, found that my PC had shut down on its own. When I rebooted the desktop, along with the external drive, my Vista 64 OS wouldn't recognize the external RAID volume as a drive. In disk management, it notices the drive, but it's greyed out with the red hospital cross on the left, with "Unknown" and "Not Initialized" written underneath.

My RAID software, Sil 4726 Manager, sees the volume just fine.

So my question is, what is my best course of action from here on out? I'd prefer to not lose the data mirrored on those disks if at all possible, as only some of it is backed up on a separate external.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help,
Nate

Edited by ndyackel, 10 July 2009 - 07:06 PM.

Advertisements