Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer goes to black screen after Vista boots up.

• Please log in to reply

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello,

I currently have a problem where my HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium will not fully boot. All I see when I try to boot up normally is a black screen with a mouse. Everything boots up fully until this point. I even have my wireless light on. But, it just gets stuck. I've waited a long time and nothing will happen. I have tried running in safe mode and all the other options when you press F8. I do have an installation CD. And I can wipe it. I have some stuff on there I need. I have tried Startup repair and it says everything is fine.

Any help is appreciated,
Michael (Needs Some Help)

Edited by Sometimes needs help, 10 July 2009 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
What happens when you try to boot in safe mode? The same thing? Does Windows start to load at all?

Robinl

Robinl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I see someone was having the exact problem I am having but they did not follow through. When I try to boot in safe mode the same thing happens on my computer. Yes, it appears like it going to load but when it gets to the log in screen and I type in my password that is when it goes completely black... I hope someone can help me as I will be learning a very valuable lesson if I can not get to my files again.

Thanks for this service :-)

Robin

What happens when you try to boot in safe mode? The same thing? Does Windows start to load at all?

Mistrezsyn

Mistrezsyn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My friend is having the same problem. He puts in his password and it goes to a black screen. Safe mode loads with Safe mood in all 4 corners, still a back screen though and no icons. Did you figure anything out? Its kinda important that he gets this working soon.