Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No start menu, no desktop, explorer doesn't work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KaTsMeO

KaTsMeO

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I have no start menu, pls help me. I have big probs ??? Explorer.exe doesn't work either. I have to do everything thru my stardock. Thank God I have that. And in safe mode everything shows, but nothing in normal mode? Pls reply. Greatly appreciate it. KaTsMeO :)

It says startmenu help file was injected but failed to take effect.
It also says C:\DOCUME~1\Kelly\LOCALS~1\Temp\a350_appcompat.txt errors will be in this file....???

KatsMeO try starting a new topic and posting your problem in the XP OS forum. This thread is 4 years old and you most likely wont get a response. We will be glad to help you then with only your topic as the main one.
Your problem has been resolved in other topics but we will need to lok at yours closely to make sure we get the right fix for you. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. :) :)

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
It's possible you have a virus on your system, so I suggest you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal forum.

Before you start a new topic, please go through the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will remove 70% of the problems on your computer alone, and will get your computer ready for the experts to take a look.

If the problem persists once your system has been cleaned by one of our Malware Removal Experts, then repost in this topic and we can start looking at other options.

KaTsMeO

KaTsMeO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HOW DO I DO THAT? I am not sure how to post it where you are saying to post it? :)( 'm so frustrated. :)

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Ok, first go through the Malware and Spyware Cleaning guide to prepare your system for the experts. If you can't do one of the steps, move on to the next.

Once you have done that, you can start a new topic with the Posted Image button, and post the required logs where an expert will get back to you as soon as possible. Be sure to create a descriptive title: the more you help us the more we can help you.

-mp

KaTsMeO

KaTsMeO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i have already run malware program.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
KaTsMeO we understand this is frustrating and we are here to help. There are steps that need to be done in a particular order so that we can assist you in the most efficient way.
We have very highly trained Malware Technicians that go through a lot of training to be able to spot and help clean hidden infections.
Please follow the instructions i am about to give step by step and we will get you taken care of.
Understand that anything in a different color is also a link and you can click on it to take you directly to where I am asking you to go.
Thank you for your your patience and cooperation.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 July 2009 - 05:02 AM.

KaTsMeO

KaTsMeO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i went through all the malware forum and and run all the steps...so, anything else can help me? Please? :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
KaTsMeO, This definitely looks like a malware infection. Any time that there is no desktop or start menu, restore, etc,it usually points to an infection.
We need to be sure you are clean before we proceed here.

You did not post in that forum, so you did not get a clean bill of health from them.

Please understand that if you still have malware, then anything we do here will fail. Please return to the malware forum and post the problems and let the experts pronounce you clean of all malware.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
KaTsMeO I have looked at your topic history and you have 3 topics in this forum Operating Systems
As 123Runner explained it is important that you have the Malware Techs go through the required logs as requested in the tutorial I referenced in my previous post.
If you follow the steps then the Malware Techs can help you run some deeper scans and new logs. This will ensure that your system is healthy.
Just follow the instructions I gave you in my previous post and someone there will be with you. Just as you started a topic here you will need to start a topic in the Malware forum after you have completed the steps in the tutorial. In the initial post then include the logs asked for.

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 July 2009 - 06:54 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please follow the advice. You have been told to post in the Malware Removal forum, I suggest you do that as well.

Going to close this