Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron E1505 Will Not Boot, Turns Off After 3-4 Seconds

• Please log in to reply

tman2009

tman2009

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same problem others here have described, only no flashing lights: Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop is 3 yrs old, running XP sp3, 2 gb RAM and original 100gb Seagate drive. Stays on the kitchen table most times plugged in except for a few trips. It's powered on all the time. I came home today to find the flying Windows screensaver frozen and all keys unresponsive. So I switched off the power at the button. When I powered it back up, all three alpha/scroll/num lock lights came on on solid and none flashing for 2-3 seconds, then it powered off. Nothing changes this pattern of behavior. I'm also noticing that the power light curiously never illuminates now, except for a lightening-fast instant whenever the power cord is plugged in. The power light will not illuminate regardless of whether the battery is in or out or plugged in/charging, or the top is open or closed. I tried a different power cord, swapped the RAM back and forth, tried each stick one at a time (including no RAM at all) and it behaves the exact same way each time: Turn it on, the 3 same lights are solid for about 2-3 seconds, then everything switches off. Also tried removing the CMOS battery, regular battery and cord and leaving it that way for 10 mins, but no change. Also held down power button for 30 seconds a couple times after all power was removed but nothing changed. Still behaves the same. Last week or so it seemed to be acting different, a little more slowly like it would slow down momentarily. I suspected maybe something was running in the background. Network connection seemed flaky for awhile too as though there was interference. Months ago, I added the second gb of RAM from Dell. The install went smoothly and it worked fine. Replaced the G card with a draft N, but that too went fine and was months ago. No other software installed that I recall. Did a firmware update the night before on the router it connects to wirelessly, but that shouldn't affect it, right? Sorry so long. Just not sure what is relevant here. Funny I'm typing this on a 10 yr-old Dell desktop..

Edited by tman2009, 10 July 2009 - 09:23 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Lets see if we can get into the Dell diagnostics. You may have it on the hard drive. If not, then it will be on the "resource CD"
This is all per your Owners Manual under diagnostics.
If you do not get the onbard diagnostics, you will have to try the resource CD.

FYI: Service Manual.

tman2009

tman2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is that the f8 you press when rebooting? If so, I tried that but it shut off way before then. It shuts off like 2-3 seconds after you turn it on.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Starting the Dell Diagnostics From Your Hard Drive

The Dell Diagnostics is located on a hidden diagnostic utility partition on your hard drive.
NOTE: If your computer cannot display a screen image, contact Dell. See Contacting Dell.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Connect the computer to an electrical outlet.

3. Diagnostics can be invoked one of two ways:

1. Turn on the computer. When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F12> immediately. Select Diagnostics from the boot menu and press <Enter>.

NOTE: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.

2. Press and hold the <Fn> key while powering the system on.

NOTE: If you see a message stating that no diagnostics utility partition has been found, run the Dell Diagnostics from the Drivers and Utilities CD.

The computer runs the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of initial tests of your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display.

o During the assessment, answer any questions that appear.

o If a failure is detected, the computer stops and beeps. To stop the assessment and restart the computer, press <n>; to continue to the next test, press <y>; to retest the component that failed, press <r>.

o If failures are detected during the Pre-boot System Assessment, write down the error code(s) and contact Dell.

If the Pre-boot System Assessment completes successfully, you receive the message Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition. Press any key to continue.

4. Press any key to start the Dell Diagnostics from the diagnostics utility partition on your hard drive

tman2009

tman2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks a bunch. I'll give that a try and report back. May be a few days.

tman2009

tman2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Got the computer back today and tried both methods-- f12 immediately after starting, and same with f12. Tried holding them down just before and after starting, pressing repeatedly and holding, too. No difference, unfortunately, and it still dies after 2 seconds. This weekend a shop said the "power chip" was out, and that it would be cheaper to replace the motherboard. $400 out the door. No thanks. So I'm buying one on ebay, apparently a computer shop in Ohio, and the seller will install it. Now, watch him keep my laptop... :)

Thanks for your suggestions