Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Eventvwr.msc Error Message

• Please log in to reply

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Get the spyware removed from your machine. Then run the following from a command line:

regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\msxml3.dll

Okay. I did this and it says this succeeded.

Now try to open event viewer.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried and still no dice.

After running sfc /scannow and chkdsk quite a few times, and seeing many many "bad blocks" listed, I'm going to err on the side of caution and recommend the laptop owner replace her hard drive.

I followed rshaffer61's advice and followed the "How to Remove Malware" thread so the [bleep] thing is clean as a whistle, it just may be time to replace the thing.

Thank both of you for your help.

• 34,114 posts
With that many bad blocks the HD should be replaced.
If the client has no recovery cd then have them contact the manufacturer of the laptop and usually for a small fee they will send one.