Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AGP Slot // Best video card for it...

• Please log in to reply

shadowz187

shadowz187

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have an older system that lacks a PCI-E slot, and has an AGP.

What is the best video card I can put in this slot?

Also, can I run 2 monitors on an AGP?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hey mate,

The "best" video card relies upon the rest of your system, notably the PSU. What PSU do you have (make/model)?

You can run two monitors if the AGP has two outputs.

Troy

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hey mate,

The "best" video card relies upon the rest of your system, notably the PSU. What PSU do you have (make/model)?

You can run two monitors if the AGP has two outputs.

Troy

Its stock inside a Dell 260. I already have a 128Mb video card that runs fine in it, but just want to get more graphics out of this system. Do you think power supply is going to be an issue on an AGP slot? I could understand a higher end PCIE having issues with a smaller PSU, as they use more power.

I have no idea, the size of power supply that comes in a stock dell. I will have to take a look.

Other info: CPU: P4 2.66Ghz, 2 Gig PC3200 DDR RAM, running XP Pro SP3

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, the PSU is 250W, which I can see as a problem right away. I have a 128Mb Video card already and I am running both a secondary optical drive and a secondary harddrive. Based on Wattage estimates, I am showing that I am using close to 250W before I even add in the video card that is currently in.

Anyone know where I can test components online? I am not sure I want to look up every single component, just to find similar estimated numbers; knowing I need more power.

This may be the reason, why games sometimes are not finding enough memory, as the RAM is not always getting full power if other components are loading up in other areas.

I did find a compatible 410W PSU for $90, but I am not sure it is worth the headache since this thing does not have a PCI-E slot in the 1st place and I could opt for just building a newer setup.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Edited by shadowz187, 13 July 2009 - 10:22 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes that PSU is definitely the limiting factor in this instance. I would not upgrade the video card under any circumstance on this machine unless the video card was upgraded first.

How did you come to your conclusion? Did you use the PSU calculator?

Troy

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Yes that PSU is definitely the limiting factor in this instance. I would not upgrade the video card under any circumstance on this machine unless the video card was upgraded first.

How did you come to your conclusion? Did you use the PSU calculator?

Troy

Actually, I estimated. That is a nice online tool to use though. After using that, I came out to 222W with the 128Mb video card in the formula.

I did find another PSU through Fry's for a lot less money. It is an Antec Basiq 400W and it has a AGP power line, rather than a PCI-E and is the same size as the stock dell. I am thinking that will work, but still not sure I want to put a dime more in this system.

shadowz187

shadowz187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
OK, I ended up putting in a Zumax 400W PSU with a Sapphire X1650. I opted out on the stock drivers and went with Omega Drivers. It is running like a charm.

Quick question on overclocking the card, as it seems a bit downclocked for what it could really do. I was thinking about using ATI Tools, but was curious/concerned about the heat. I could open this thing up quite a bit if I add a better cooler and some memory heat sinks and I have the space for it as well. What type of fan/cooler what you recommend running on this card? Passive or powered?

Let me know. Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you are looking to overclock the card, then definitely look into active cooling.

Cheers