Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Paint Download Needed

• Please log in to reply

Ted128

Ted128

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My wife recently lost Paint from her IBM R51 with Windows XP Professional for which we have the disk.

This disk is not the original IBM OS that came with the computer.

When I go to control panel, add/remove programs, and click on the Windows Add/Remove Windows components, and run down the details on the Accessories/Utilities category, there's no Paint line item.

There IS a Calculator line item that I was able to select, insert the XP disk, and complete the setup for, because apparently she was missing that program as well.

Any suggestions on how to get Paint. She thinks she's had it until recently, even after we reloaded the computer OS with the XP Prof. disk.

Thanks so much for reading and any suggestions. Ted

Advertisements

Austin Gatchell

Austin Gatchell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Try checking the C:\Windows\system32\ folder for mspaint.exe and create a shortcut to it in the Accessories folder in the Start menu. If it isn't there, then you can try using Paint.NET instead, it's more advanced than paint, it's free, and it's pretty easy to use.

Paint.NET

I hope this helps.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Paint is located here: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Command line is this...
%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe

Ted128

Ted128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks so much, Austin. This confirms other suggestions we've received. Am thinking my wife is going to try the Paint.net download. Will keep you posted.