Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with a horrible problem.

• Please log in to reply

handofpwn

handofpwn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so I have had my computer for about a year and just last week i have started having these problems. I have gotten multiple BSODs with a few different stop errors. My friend defraged and ran a registry cleaner on my computer and tech support talked me through re seating the memory but I am still having a few problems. down right away and have not gotten

The stop errors are as follows:
0x0000000A
IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

0x0000004E
PFN_List_Corrupt

0x0000001A
Memory_Management

0x000000DE
(Im not sure about this one as i didnt write it down right away and I have not gotten it again.)

0x00000050
Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Areay

That is all of the errors I have had. I can produce a "hijack this" report if necessary. Also, Firefox crashes intermittently (sp?) when I run it. Oh, and I am typing this on the computer I am having trouble on currently. Its not as bad as it was, but it is still annoying. Please help!

Edited by handofpwn, 12 July 2009 - 01:54 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo. 0x00000050 is indicative of a memory issue. Please take a look at our guide on how to test the memory. Please let us know if have any questions. Post the results when completed.

Regards,

handofpwn

handofpwn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Umm... Im not able to get it to run, I dunno if I am doing it wrong or what, but is there anything else?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
First download the utility
http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

Utility does not require install. You will be given two options. Choose save cd image to disk.
  • Save CD Image to Disk, from which you can save an ISO image of the program to your hard drive. Then you can burn that image onto a CD and make it bootable using CD creation software. After you build your bootable media, reboot your PC and start the diagnostic from the floppy or CD.
Once the image has been saved to a location on your computer, you can use your burning software to burn the image to a cd. If your software doesn't support burning ISO Images or you do not have burning software installed, you can use a tool like ISO Recorder which will add a "Copy Image to CD" option to the right click context menu. You can simply right click on the saved image and choose that option...the burning tool will open.

Once the iso image has been burned to cd, you will need to reboot your pc. If your pc does not launch the memory diagnostic utility on reboot, then your pc is not configured to boot from cd / dvd. You will need to go into the bios and change your boot order. I recommend looking at this guide. It starts about half way down the page, just look for "BIOS is not set to boot from CD or DVD drive"

handofpwn

handofpwn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well, when I tried to run it I went into the temporary boot menu by hitting f12 at the starting screen and chose boot from cd, which is what I had saved the .iso file too. im gonna give the bios try like you suggested, tho.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if you just put the iso file onto the cd rom as a normal file, it will NOT work. An iso file is an image file format. You have to burn the iso.

another iso guide: http://www.geekstogo...N...html&hl=iso

I personally use imgburn to make all my iso's.
http://www.imgburn.com/

Once installed, all you have to do is right click the iso file and say "Burn using ImgBurn".

handofpwn

handofpwn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, here are the results after 4 passes. I didnt sit and watch the whole time tho so here are the first pass results.

mats+ Failed
invc Succeed
lrand Failed
stride6 Failed
wmats+ Failed
winvc Succeed

I dont know what this means but I really hope that I wont have to send this in for repairs.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Any failure in any test may indicate a bad module. If there is more than one module installed on the machine when a failure is indicated, remove all but one module and begin the test again, testing each module by itself until the failing module is found.

what is the make / model of your computer?

handofpwn

handofpwn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its an inspiron 1720 notebook with an intel core duo processor.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If it is still under warranty, then you will need to contact dell for warranty replacement of the memory.

handofpwn

handofpwn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thats what I thought. Im just hoping not to have to send it in. But then again, they may just send me the memory and have me install it myself, after all, tech support guy had me reseat the memory when I called them. By the way, I got a new Stop error. 0x0000008e

handofpwn

handofpwn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, Im getting new RAM. That was the exact problem.