Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer doesnt boot up

• Please log in to reply

boswack

boswack

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello all, I have a major problem and i believe the computer is toast but im hoping theres a chance to fix it.

My son was on the computer and instead of shutting windows down properly he pulled the power plug out cause he sayed it was faster,lol. Not only once but twice. Now the computer wont boot up at all and the screen doesnt reconize the video input. I think the motherboard might be fried. Any suggestions or help would be great?

Ty Boswack

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptop or Desktop? If desktop please open the side of the case.
Make sure to ground yourself by touching the outside of the case before touching anything inside.
Turn the system on and check the fans inside. There are 3 that need to be checked
CPU... on the MOBO itself
Second Case Cooling fan... located either in the front or back of case
PSU fan... normally can be seen by looking through the back of the PSU.

Is the PSU fan turning when you start the system?
Is there a switch on the back of the PSU to turn it on or off?

boswack

boswack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok now when i start it , it will not come on. But i only have two fans,one in the front and the cpu fan. I remember the cpu fan was coming on but not sure bout the front fan. Later after work i will put another power supply in it and see for sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks for the update.
I will continue to monitor this topic for your results.

boswack

boswack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok i bought a new psu and installed it, problem is as soon as i plug the psu up the computer power comes on without me pushing the on button. I still have no video display. The fan in the front and the cpu fan is infact running when turned on.You think it might be the mother board?

Thanx for all the help, If nothing else i think i have learned something out of this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be MOBO but double check the power switch connection wire to the MOBO. If it is backwards it may be causing the issue with turning on by itself.
Is this a name brand system and if so the make and model please.

boswack

boswack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The connecter is plugged in right and secure. The brand name mob is a shuttle ak32a v2.1. I bought it to replace the old mob and it worked great up until now. :)

boswack

boswack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
If it is the mobo that is defaulty, Can you recommend aanother board that i can buy to replace it with atleast the same power or what not? I dont want to spend too much money on this because i want to build a real good gaming system too and i know that will run me out my wallet. Anyway ty much for all your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your MOBO
How old is the MOBO?
What is your budget like?
How much memory do you have?
This is a older style with older cpu and memory type.
This is why I'm asking about budget so that I can check on a newer MOBO, Cpu and memory that will work in the case.
Is this case a desktop, flat laying or one of shuttles square boxes?

boswack

boswack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
This is an older machine. It is a desktop case. There is 2 512 memory sticks in it now. Well my budget is quite low now and i might have to wait. I found the link to one that i would like to have but if it is slower then the one i have now or doesnt fit my case then i will prolly just have to wait. Her is the link if you wanna have a look. http://www.portatech.......354&O=26102 Its the 89.00 one that is the one im interested in. What do you think?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That actually is a Athlon 64 which will be faster but you may want to double check it because I believe you will need new memory also for it.
Presently you have SDRAM which is put into a system in pairs. The new MOBO's can run one stick at a time and it's much faster also.

boswack

boswack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Great then then i will get this one and also get more memory with it. Ty for all your help. Too bad the old one is burnt up but i will end up with a better one now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you will in the end I believe you will be much happpier with it.

Congratulations. :) for a somewhat successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you with the new parts.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved but the topic will remain open so you can post your results with new parts.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

boswack

boswack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok heres a little update. I installed the new mobo and cpu and it works fine now.Problem now is i think i have to format the hard drive and install a new windows because the old windows wont boot up. And i didnt know that i was gonna need a sata dvd or cd drive. i thought i could use my old ide drive :) so now i will have to wait on a new cd drive to come in. Do you know if theres a way to get the hard drive to boot with the old windows with out having to reinstall?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you getting a error message?
If so what is it?
What happens when you try to boot up the system?
Does the BIOS see the HD?