Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help getting windows to boot.

• Please log in to reply

usel42

usel42

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Howdy, Man! what A week. It all started when we wanted to upgrade wy wife video card to support a new game we are playing. When we couldnt get the onboard POS video card( refered to the virus around here) to disable and load the drivers for the new card to load up we decided we'll let the "professionals" do it. Fry's service department was happy to take our money and call us 2 days later and tell us that they had the same problem that we had and they "think its the MotherBoard. So we went and picked up the computer returned the video card and picked our selves up a Mother Board and brought it home. I sucessfully installed the Mother Board( this one without any on board video, thankfully ) used the same HD, the same memory, and everything. We double checked that everything was compatible before purchasing the board. Now when I try to boot up the computer I get this

[QUOTE]We appolodize for the inconvinience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted automaticly, or shut down to protect your files and folderschoose last known good configuration to revert back to the most recent setting that worked.

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or restart button was pushed, seelect start windows normally

safe mode
safe mode with network
safe mode with command propt
last known good configuration
start windows normally

use the up and down arrows to highlight your selectio
seconds till windows restarts 30...[/QUOTE]

Now using any of these options restarts the boot process only to bring me back to the screen above. I would not admit defeat, so I busted out the recovery disk and hit any key to boot from disk. The disk started loading the windows components but, when it gets to the blue screen with
[/QUOTE]SET UP IS STARTING WINDOWS[QUOTE]
I waited like a half hour for it to do something passed that and NOTHING. I am totally stumped. The system seems to be recognizing the HD. I know the CD drive is responding because its laoding the windows components. Its time to call in the cavalry, The bug indians have this Custer surrounded. I will be happy to supply any relevant info you need, PLEASE HELP

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

If you can get to a command prompt....look for a file named "Setuperr.log" at the root of your HD. It will list any errors and warnings that occurred during setup and thus, can help you pinpoint exactly where the process broke down.

Let us know what you come up with.

usel42

usel42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
still workin on it, I havent found been able to get to any kind of command prompt yet, I am going to try the long shot and create boot disks and try that. any other suggestions... or any suggestions on how to get a command prompt?, maybe a MS-dos start up disk... I appologize if thats a dumb question, been up all night with this sucker, and Im a little software dumb outside of windows

usel42

usel42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here might be something. I put in MSDOS start disk to get a command prompt... only way I have been able to accomplish this yet. Of course it starts in A:\>, I tried to change it over to C:\ and I get invalid drive specification. So im inclined to think that even though the BIOS is recognizing the drive is there, some how the drive is not working properly, either operator error ( im no genius ) or the HD is screwed and will have to be replaced. Im going to keep looking into it, recheck all my connections and such. any how, Any thoughts?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
This motherboard is not exactly the same as the previous, your post leads me to think you did not do a clean install. If you put it all together and the hd had the os installed from your previous configuration, you will be fighting a loosing battle trying to get it to work. Do you have the windows installation CD? I would sugges a format and clean install.