Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Set Up Windows XP Internet Connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Windows XP Home Edition = freshly installed, but when I connect my internet cable to my port on the computer from my Broadband (Cable) Modem, I am not prompted with any sort of message. From here, I have tried to create different connections in the Network Connection Setup Wizard and whatnot, but still nothing because all of the options it provides seems to lead to an attempt to read a dial-up connection. So, I re-installed Windows XP Home Edition for like the 5th time and haven't touched anything as of yet. Do I have an issue with my cable modem or some sort of driver I am missing or what? I would greatly appreciate some help on this. I have a Cable Modem running to a LinkSys BEFSR41 wired router, which then runs to this computer, an Xbox 360, and my other computer that I am having these issues with. I have tried plugging modem directly into it as well; nothing happens. ISP = Insight Broadband (no internet startup disc provided, any other computer I have connected has always been easy as pie, but I'm getting nowhere with this new one)

I have already searched Microsoft's help and troubleshooting stuff many times. I have already searched for other threads like this on the site and found nothing, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by BlazeHeatnix, 13 July 2009 - 02:04 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the device manager and see if you have any yellow ! or ? marks...

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Nah, nevermind now. My brother posted this using my account, but we figured it out. Just needed a network driver for my motherboard. Go ahead and close/delete this.