Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Issues XP

• Please log in to reply

Dutch211

Dutch211

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Computer has been a bit weird lately, with a virus or two and a very curious issue with my C drive whether or not I had Admin rights, so I decided to reinstall my PC. I used the operating system disk provided when I brought the computer as I was supposed to (it said on the disk to use it to reinstall my OS should it be needed) and the OS started up as it should. However, I found that the OS setup also deleted my application and driver files. This was, of course, what was supposed to happen as I had a second CD with these drivers. However, the CD doesn't seem to work. When I try to run the appinstall.exe program, which is supposed to make this thing work, it does not respond at all. Can anyone help me please?

My current, disfunctional OS is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2, the same one that I had before and which worked perfectly on the computer.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the system boot up now?
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Is this disk a Recovery Disk?

Dutch211

Dutch211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First of all, thanks already for helping me here.

Does the system boot up now?

If by ''boot up'''you mean start up, yes. It starts up normally. My problem is with the drivers that dont install, so I can start my computer, but can't do much with it.

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Desktop

Is this disk a Recovery Disk?

Both disks state on it that it contains software already installed and that it is for software reinstallation and repair only. If this is what you mean with recovery disk, then yes.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Some of the driver CD's will auto run. Evidently yours does not.
If you explore the disk, are there any other .exe files?
Is there a readme file? Generally there is. This might give us a clue.

If we can't get them from the CD, we do have other ways.

What is the make and model of the computer?
Is it Dell, HP, gateway, home built, etc.

Dutch211

Dutch211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I explore the disk, there are basically two things: A folder which (presumably) contains the drivers and info, and a small program saying : 'Autorun'. When I tried to run it, nothing happened; the computer just didn't seem to respond. When I opened it with notepad, this is what I find:

[autorun]
open=SWSETUP\APPINSTL\setup.exe
icon=SWSETUP\APPINSTL\setup.exe,0

The folder is littered with subfolders, one for every driver I guess, which also contain setup.exe files. I've tried running these programs several times, but nothing seems to happen when I do.

Unfortunately the CD does not contain a readme file. The computer in question is a HP.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would say that you are looking for setup.exe.
This should start the program. Look in the other folder.
Auto run usually runs when you put the CD in. It is not "auto running" for some reason.

Also get the Everest report for us. With that we can get the drivers another way.