Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Login to My Own Home Network (IP Address Conflict)

• Please log in to reply

need_your_help

need_your_help

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a new laptop and am trying to login to my home network. But everytime I try to login, I got an error message window pops up that said:

"Windows has detected an IP address conflict:
Another computer on this network has the same IP addresses as this computer. Contact your network adminstrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in the Windows System event log."

However, if I try login to my neighbor's network, I am able to. I just cannot seem to login to my own network. I'm already login my old laptop and the old laptop is able to login my own network and my friend who came over to use his laptop is able to login my network as well. Only for my new laptop, I cannot login my own network but has to login someone else household's network. What's the problem? I don't understand the error message. How do I fix this?

P/S: I had read the Basic of IP. I know this is an IP conflict but don't know how to fix it. Now I am afraid to log off my old laptop worrying that if I do that, I will NOT be able to login on EITHER laptop I have because someone said they're now both confuse with sharing the same IP, if I log off my old laptop. I come back, I cannot login to any laptop. Right now, at least I have one laptop able to login to my network to access Internet and seek help online. If I can only use one laptop, fine. I am just afraid the next day, I cannot use any, which happens to some people who have conflicting IPs.

How do I fix this so I can use both laptop to access internet on my network?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Advertisements

need_your_help

need_your_help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just figure it out. I put the same name on this new laptop as my old laptop when I was setting the new laptop up in the hotel. When I got home, my old laptop is already accessing the internet. My new laptop has the same name as the old one and can't access. I changed the new laptop name into something else. Restart. Doesn't work. Turn off the new laptop. One hour later, start the new laptop again. And it works now. So now my new laptop and old laptop are accessing the internet, which is my intention. I don't know how this happen but all I did is changing the laptop name!

I know I am answering my own question but I can't believe I figure it out without knowing how or what exactly happen. Took me 5 hours to come up with this and it finally works!