Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

• Please log in to reply

Alyv

Alyv

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I only have one hard drive, which was filled with debris from years of application installation and uninstallation to the point that it was very unpleasant to use, so I decided to wipe everything and reinstall the OS. Simple enough, I figured. I've done it before with the help of a friend. I have the boot CD and everything... So I backed up the files I wanted to keep, formatted the hard drive to wipe it clean, popped in the CD (Windows XP Pro install), then changed the boot order so it would boot from the CD rather than the hard drive... Alas, now I'm faced with the error: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". It's not anything wrong with the disk, as I also tried other system install disks for ME and '98 and others, all of which I've sucessfully used in the past. It's also not a problem with the CD drive, because I tried a different one and checked the cords for proper connection several times. I also put in the XP install disk before formatting the hard drive, and it showed Windows XP Install as drive D, so it must be able to read it. Honestly, I've done everything I can think of, and have NO idea what's wrong. Can anyone help me? My computer and I would really appreciate it. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

Alyv

Alyv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's great, but since I already know how to install an OS, it's not helpful in the least and doesn't answer my question. Did you even read my post, or just read the title? I'd like some actual help on my problem, please.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I also tried other system install disks for ME and '98 and others

did you get any OS to install...
BTW ...getting a bad attitude will not get you help...it will get you added to peoples blocked list so they never again even see your pleas for FREE help...

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Although the answer might be off I must say that was really rude

Alyv

Alyv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm sorry, let's say a freezing homeless person goes to a clothing donation and gets a free pair of sandals that don't fit. Yes, it's free, but if it's useless, then it doesn't much matter. I also don't see how I was at all rude, considering they wouldn't even take the time to read my post. And to get back to the matter at hand, no, I haven't been able to boot any OS.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Alyv For all intents and purpose, we have to start at the very basics. If we assume that you did everything correct and made no mistakes, then the computer should be booting from the CD.

formatted the hard drive to wipe it clean

What did you use to format the drive?

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

This error normally indicates that the computer is bypassing the CD and trying to boot from the hard drive.

It's not anything wrong with the disk, as I also tried other system install disks for ME and '98 and others

You stated that you weren't able to boot any OS. I have to assume that none of the other CD's you tried would boot and attempt install.

and it showed Windows XP Install as drive D

Normal install of an OS on a hard drive is on C drive. Any other location can create install issues with drivers and programs.

Now the question. If you actually changed the boot order to the CD drive, at any point during startup did you see anything related to "to boot from CD, press any key"?
Is your hard drive recognized in the bios?
Is your CD drive recognized in the bios?
Re-verify that the bios is set so that you can boot from the CD.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
well put 123Runner... :)
only thing I would add is set the bios to fail safe or default...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Good catch Happyrock. That should eliminate bios corruption by going to default.

Hockeytownryan

Hockeytownryan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Alyv For all intents and purpose, we have to start at the very basics. If we assume that you did everything correct and made no mistakes, then the computer should be booting from the CD.

formatted the hard drive to wipe it clean

What did you use to format the drive?

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

This error normally indicates that the computer is bypassing the CD and trying to boot from the hard drive.

It's not anything wrong with the disk, as I also tried other system install disks for ME and '98 and others

You stated that you weren't able to boot any OS. I have to assume that none of the other CD's you tried would boot and attempt install.

and it showed Windows XP Install as drive D

Normal install of an OS on a hard drive is on C drive. Any other location can create install issues with drivers and programs.

Now the question. If you actually changed the boot order to the CD drive, at any point during startup did you see anything related to "to boot from CD, press any key"? NO
Is your hard drive recognized in the bios? YES
Is your CD drive recognized in the bios? YES
Re-verify that the bios is set so that you can boot from the CD.

I am having all those problems as well.. It totally does not give options to boot from a disc or even recognize it is there.. on a clean drive with nothing on it. (purchased it new)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Hockeytownryan

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Hockeytownryan

Hockeytownryan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Direct to: Hockeytownryan

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

To rshaffer61: Like this one I started yesterday?
Here on this board?
just checking!!

Edited by Hockeytownryan, 06 January 2010 - 09:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

To rshaffer61: Like this one I started yesterday?
Here on this board?
just checking!!

I have replied in your original topic.