Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop keyboard problems

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi,

I'm having the weirdest problem with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501, Windows Vista Home Premium, 2 GB RAM, "AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-50 1.60 GHz" processor). I can only say that it like Windows is detecting a phantom key that is being constantly pressed, even when I'm not typing. This causes some big and small problems...
  • In Windows Live Messenger, the word wheel (contact/web search box) constantly has focus. When I click somewhere else in the window, it loses focus but it immediately returns there.
  • When I'm typing a document in Word, I am unable to use the quick access toolbar or spell checker. The spell checker seems to think that I'm making an edit to the word/phrase when I'm not. Because of this, I can't select the suggested correct word. The quick access toolbar (the small toolbar that fades into view when you select text) fades out immediately.
  • In Gmail, when I type ? in order to bring up the keyboard shortcuts help box, it shows and then disappears.
  • In Firefox, tooltips that appear when I hover over a link or image show and then disappear almost immediately.
  • In Narrator, the robotic lady doesn't read aloud dialogues but "unknown key" over and over again. Unchecking the "echo user's keystrokes" checkbox fixes this.
  • The laptop never idles. It will never set my Windows Live status to "away", nor will it ever sleep or turn off the monitor.
There are other things that happen, these are just a few that I can remember. I've made a quick video that better illustrates my problem, since it's kinda difficult to describe.

In the past, I've managed to fix this problem by taking out the laptop keyboard, shaking the dust from between the keys, cleaning the ribbon thing and then putting it back. However, this is just temporary and the problem always returns.

Does anyone know what's causing this, or how to fix it permanently? Whilst some of the stuff here is bearable (e.g. the messenger word wheel), the Word spell checker thing is a serious annoyance -- I use Word most days, and it takes ages to go through right-clicking every word that's misspelt.

Thanks,
Michael :)

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hey,

I had the exact same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1501. It was the same with the word spell checker were I couldn’t use it. reinstalling office didn’t do anything. The first option that corrected it was windows reinstall but always returned. The next option i tired which seemingly has repaired the issue was my BIOD was out of date and there was a bug with the keyboard and vista. Flashing the BIOS returned normal activity :) it could be coincidence but it has removed the problem.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hey, this is long overdue but thanks for the tip. I just tried it and it doesn't seem to have worked. :)