Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lightscribe/Nero 7 Essentials Installation

• Please log in to reply

ronsweet2

ronsweet2

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello:

I have a Sony Lightscribe external DVD burner that came bundled with Nero 7 Essentials. I have used the burner to burn CDs and DVDs for a couple of years now but never used it to make "Lightscribe" CDs and DVDs. A few days ago I purchased some Lightscribe CDs and DVDs and am now ready to start making them. I know that to burn Lightscribe DVDs, you need a software (such as Nero 7 Essentials) that is capable of burning the image onto the CD/DVD.

The problem I am having is with the install of Nero 7 Essentials. When you try to install it, it first takes you to a web based newsletter registration page where it asks you to put in your email address. But after you do this, it takes you to another web page screen which does NOT allow you to run the setup for the installation! I have tried every possible method to try and bypass this, trying to run setup from the Start bar, trying to open and "browse" the CD and run the setup executable that way, etc., etc.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem, and if so, how did you bypass it? I know that when I first got the burner and the software, I ran into the same problem but eventually found a way around it (but it was so long ago I can't recall what that was). I ended up uninstalling it because I no longer use Nero to burn CDs/DVDs, so I installed Nero 6 instead (because it took up less space). And I doubt Nero 7 Essentials is not installing because of a conflict with Nero 6 aready being installed because I can't even GET to the install process with Nero 7.

Or perhaps there is a freeware out there that can make Lightscribe CDs/DVDs? Any other advice on how to burn a Lightscribe CD/DVD would be appreciated!

Ron

P.S. Does anyone know if/when Lightscribe will ever be able to burn in color and if so, would an upgraded DVD burner be needed?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Nero 6 is capable of Lightscribe disks providing its later than a certain revision and it's probably the "best" version of Nero ever going considering Nero 7 became fat, Nero 8 fatter still and Nero 9 is so fat it's clinically obese. It is a tragedy that Nero 6 doesn't work on Vista or Windows 7.

There are issues that can occur when you have multiple copies of Nero on a machine so you are strongly advised to either have Nero 6 or 7. preferably not both. Uninstall one and reboot before you install the other. The last Nero 6 update from Nero's website DOES do lightscribe subject of course to appropriate hardware and the Lightscribe system software available here:
http://www.lightscri...dex.aspx?id=810

There is 3rd party software for Lightscribe, see here:
http://www.lightscri...dex.aspx?id=105

With regards to colour lightscribe sketches, in theory it is possible, HP have said they're working on it (and that was the end of the matter since it was announced in 2006) and a handful of drives can do it. Lightscribe disks in different background colours are available.