Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

resolution issues.. help!

• Please log in to reply

krnxejl

krnxejl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hello i have a Hp 17 inch laptop.. model dv9320us with graphics nvidia geforce go 6150.
so just yesterday i booted my computer and then my resolution was set on 1024x768 so i went to display settings and tried to move the slider to higher one but the higher resolution didn't even exist anymore.. so i tried to fixing it by uninstalling the driver and reinstalling but the only option i still get is 1024x768 but i KNOW this isn't what i had before and im 100% positive that it was a higher resolution. i had gone into nvidia control panel and checked to see if some how custom resolution was set but this wasn't it either..
oh i also tried to restore back to two nights ago but nothing changed and i haven't done anything from the usual so i dont know why this happened..
so please help! this is really annoying :)

Edited by krnxejl, 13 July 2009 - 09:34 PM.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Installing the current display driver should resolve the issue. Navigate to nvidia.com and search for your specific card.

krnxejl

krnxejl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hello thank you for responding but i've tried that.. HP recommends installing drivers they have on their website specific to my laptop so that's what i did. i mean i've had the same driver version for at least an year.

okay something new. my screen has been like this since three days ago but on maybe 1 out of 10 restarts, it turns on with 1400x900 resolution and when i turn it off, it's gone! so im really confused..

is it possible that my video card is some how messed up and is not working well sometimes? should i replace it? i hope not..

thanks!

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
has anything been added to the computer recently? it could be caused by the wrong driver being installed. b/c the issue only happens once every 10 restarts, the motherboard might also be the cause. have you installed the correct chipset drivers?

krnxejl

krnxejl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i haven't installed anything in quite a while and i checked to make sure that uninstalled and installed the correct driver. i went to HP.com and entered my laptop information (dv9320us) and the driver versions they gave were the exact same ones that i had before but uninstalled and installed them accordingly just to make sure it wasn't the drivers' fault. also, when my resolution stayed at 1024x768 i went to device manager to see that there weren't any errors (the yellow ! mark) and i couldn't find a single error..

another observation i made was that when my login page comes up.. sometimes the screen "flickers" from 1400x900 and 1024x768 then stay at 1024x768 which all happens in one second period. so i guess this is the 10 sec period you've mentioned.. not sure how i can describe that any better way.

thanks!

Edited by krnxejl, 14 July 2009 - 03:48 PM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
your welcome.

krnxejl

krnxejl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh.. i didn't mean the problem was gone. sorry about the confusion lol
it still starts in 1024x768 if i restart or shut off and turn on.. OR if im "lucky" it turns on as 1400x900.

krnxejl

krnxejl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so anyone got any solutions for me? :) i'm so desperate to fix this.. the screen resolution that it's on right now hurts my eyes....... help please!