Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GT5220 2005 does not power on/boot up

• Please log in to reply

howdy there

howdy there

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried the "power reset" thing (turn off, unplug, hold on/off switch 30seconds, plug in, push button) which used to work sometimes. The computer booted up 1 x last week. It apparently worked fine for a while but got unplugged (not in its usual location since its crapped out, got wife other PC).

I haven't been able to get it back on since. Its apparently stuck in something called "safe mode".

I've been told by Staples :) the motherboard is bad, but it could be the memory chips or the cpu. Yeah that helps, and I'm out $70. My friend had me test it by trying to turn it on with 1 chip at a time, in all possible locations. No luck.

If it worked last week, even just once, can the motherboard really be "bad"?

What the heck is safe mode, and how do I turn it off if the sucker does actually turn on again?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Safe Mode is a special diagnostic mode for the OS system.
Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Last Known Good Configuration" and highlight it.
Click Enter to have the system try and boot with the settings that worked the last time.
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
Post back with your results.

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hooray. Thank you for being a computer hero. I have not tried this yet, but it sounds reasonable and sounds like the info I asked for. If it turns on and the blue LED lights, and tries to "boot", I will try your advice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I reread your post and I'm confused alittle.
Is the system not booting at all now?
When you turn on the system is there nothing on the screen?
Are there any beeps you can hear?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see no information in the system

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

Is this system under warranty

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is a 2005 Gateway GT5220, stock, with originally included Windows XP. It does not "boot" at all. it used to get harder and harder to "boot", turning on and off repeatedly till it works. Now it doesn't do it. It does not beep, and no blue light, no screen info. Screen is plugged in (power and video cord). The yellow light comes on 5 seconds and goes out. The fans just run and run. Nothing happens. This became more and more frequent till this is all it does. I have tried removing all peripherals, doing the "power reset", removing 1 or both memory chips and moving them in different slots. I tried disconnecting the cd drive. nothing. I ordered a new motherboard and processor because several people told me it was "the motherboard" and staples says it did this even with a known good hard drive and video card and power supply.

I don't know how much memory it has or is using because it wont' turn on and I don't know how to check for that. It has something called a PATA hard drive.

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
What is a PCI. The CPU is the stock one that is called a AM2 Athlon X2.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PCI are the expansion slots on the MOBO which allow you to add cards like
Sound
Video
network

Have you tried a different monitor?

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 July 2009 - 06:23 AM.

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes this is the 3rd monitor used with the computer and it has booted once only with this monitor and was ok looking. (this is a "dinosaur" big tv. type monitor, we also have a flatscreen and used a monitor in Staples.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two choices on the problem
PSU or MOBO.
Do you or can you get a PSU to try and then if still nothing it would have to be the MOBO

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Screen is plugged in (power and video cord). The yellow light comes on 5 seconds and goes out

Are you referring to the yellow light on the monitor? A yellow light indicates that the monitor has power. It should stay yellow till you get a video signal from the computer and then turn green.
The monitor light will go green at the start of POST (power on self test).
What is Power On Self Test

You said in your 1st post that it seemed to be stuck in safe mode?
Are you, or can you get in to safe mode? Tap F8 while booting up.

The basic steps taken are:
1. The power supply receives a "good signal"
2. Power is applied to the board and then the CMOS/BIOS starts the POST
3. CMOS looks for the boot order (of the drives)
4. Loading of the OS continues.

Trouble shooting the startup process

I suspect you are not getting to POST.
Can you get into the BIOS? usually esc, del, F2. If you can, try looking for "load default settings"

I am leaning towards a PSU or a main board.

Ok Rshaffer....I take to long to research for any possibility.

123runner

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, thanks for advice. I have bought both already and waiting on the packaging. I bought a compatible motherboard with basically the same socket and capabilities, and a similar or duplicate processor. The Power supply is supposed to be good, says staples and hobby guy down the road, by replacing with known good PSUs and testing factory PSu.

I hope it doesn't go out, but if it does, at least those are easy to find used or entry level.

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
re: rshaffer, I mean the yellow led on the front of computer by power switch, like an indicator light. It usually comes on or flashes when it used to boot normally, and a blue led would stay on the whole time, and it would beep once before booting up (normal for this type of computer.)

Now, no beep, no blue light, no "Post". Does not go to boot up dialogue or any images on screen. If you turn the monitor on and off it will give a green light then go into "sleep" with yellow light and click like TV turning off.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point I would say the MOBO is dead then.
We can test this with a few simple steps but if you have another MOBO on the way already I see no point in doing this unless you want to make sure.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I will concur on the MOBO also as the problem, because without POST, chances are you won't get in to the BIOS.

He can try a BIOS reset by pulling the CMOS battery, but this would only be a test. I do not suspect that it would get us anywhere.
But we have seen some really weird problems.

howdy there you have nothing to lose at this point.