Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GT5220 2005 does not power on/boot up

• Please log in to reply

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the help. I tried pulling the battery for various lengths of time, and tried moving that little plastic colored jumper to the other metal spikes, (near the CMOS battery, supposed to reset it right?).
I ordered the parts after starting this thread, but thanks for the help. I like to learn. The more you know the less you get ripped off right? To compare to car service, even if you can't do everything yourself or want to, the more you know, the less mechanics can take advantage, and the better parts you get when you need replacement. Good day.

I bought a new surge protector and anti-static gloves and wrist cable, just for extra protection. Could be some dust or cathair fried one little thing on the board and that was all she wrote. I am surprised computer cases don't have replaceable filters like car air filters or foam screens.

Advertisements

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here is a neat screen test: (flying simulator, just move mouse around, close window when done.) http://www.electrico...ic3d/index.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Knowledge is power and the more you know about computers the more you can get confused.
I have found that no matter how much you know there is always more to learn.
Please keep us up to date on your MOBo when you get it replaced.

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok. I think the package is in today. I will post back.

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I gave up on it and bought the new mb and chip. It booted but had flaws (missing drivers etc). I am new to computers so I tried loading the disc that came with the original computer. It locked up and I had to take it to a shop. Will find out tomorrow if they could just wipe the hard drive and reinstall from a store copy of windows.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
With the new MOBO, you would have to install the mainboard drivers that belong to the new board. Also a possibility of a OS repair.
A reformat and then the new drivers would work also. It is actually the best way.

Let us know how you make out when you get it back.

howdy there

howdy there

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok I am still waiting on it, they said tomorrow Saturday. How do you clear out a harddrive? if it possibly has viruses, can it be done by using another computer without giving that one the viruses?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
A complete reformat will/ should remove all the viruses.
If it is a semi-functional unit then a trip to our malware forum will resolve it.