Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsing Issues

• Please log in to reply

eikon

eikon

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I’ve been having browsing issues and they’ve increased since I upgraded to the latest version of Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

I don’t think this is a problem with Firefox because IE version 8.0.6001 has similar problems.

The problem appears to be that I cannot access websites on a consistent basis.

One minute I can access Yahoo (as an example) and all of Yahoo’s content. The next minute (or hour) I get a “Firefox can't find the server at www.yahoo.com” error. Other times I can access Yahoo’s homepage but when I click on Yahoo news (as an example) I get that same error. Or I can get to Yahoo news but the media content is blank. This behavior seems completely random and happens on most sites I visit – Comedy Central, Digg, Facebook, Flickr, Geeks to Go, etc. Occasionally, like on Facebook, some images display but others do not – like certain friends’ avatars will appear but others are blank.

My wife, on the other hand, has no problems at all.

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi,
I had the exact same problem as you, but only my Firefox 3.5 was doing it, not ie8. Have you upgraded to the 3.5.1 yet? Thats seemed to have fixed my problem, it should fix yours as well.
But I dont know how you should fix your IE8 problem sorry, hopefully its next update will fix it.

eikon

eikon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The Firefox update did not fix the problem.

Over the past several days I've been able to access more and more websites. The only ones I had problems with have been websites that I have either never been to before or haven't been on in a while.

However, I just clear some of my history in Firefox and the problem has returned.

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
mmm Ok,
Try to clear everything in firefox, just not the history itself.
So what you need to clear is the "everything" tab. So go to tools, clear history and choose the dropdown menu and select everything.

This will empty the cache, cookies and history, it wont clear your saved passwords if your wondering.

Also, sometimes when you update apps they loose their position in windows firewall, which can stop or limit the use of browsers, so go in your firewall and see if IE8 and firefox is checked.

Edited by BMTHmisfit, 20 July 2009 - 09:47 PM.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have issues with Firefox and Yahoo email all of the time. Its only with the email, sometimes it fixes with one refresh, sometimes I have to completely leave the email and come back later. Is it because Yahoo has some sort of exclusivity pact with some other browser?