Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Service Pack 3 problems

• Please log in to reply

oberlisc

oberlisc

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, Anybody else having issue's with SP3, a mate was telling me about one he is getting is "Nero Burning Rights", low and behold I gets a phone call from my Uncle saying he cant burn anything with Nero, little box pops up in the middle of the screen saying he needs to ask the administrator for permission (he is the Admin, he'll go mental talking to himself, I know i've come close after talking to him)anyway it gives you the address for Nero were to find the Burning rights download but i cant find it, anybody sorted this before info would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you tried to reinstall Nero?

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi diabillic Thankyou for your reply, yes i have tried reinstall but no different, I googled my problem and it turns out there are loads and i mean loads of issue's with SP3, think i'll just format his computer and put SP2 on it.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You should be able to uninstall SP3 from Add Remove programs, save you some time.

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry mate no can do, the new retail XP disc's have Intergrated SP3 which doesn't show up in Add and Remove, a mate has rang me today with a problem with his computer, it keeps rebooting gets to desktop then reboots, after researching my Uncle's problem it turns out that a SP3 update is attacking AMD processors and guess what his machine is an ACER Extensa E210 AMD dual core 4000+, so that could be an easy fix, Pick my Uncles up tomorrow have a closer look see if he has allowed any updates.

Edited by oberlisc, 16 July 2009 - 03:06 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Ahh alright, didnt know that. A reformat is in order then :)

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah mate format is in order, luckily for them i have an XP Pro with Intergrated SP2 :) , by the way i like your smilie but shouldn't that be the desktop being smashed, nothing wrong with the Monitor. :)

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok mate got Uncle's computer went into Add and Remove and found 20+ updates/hotfixes so i deleted them all :) , removed Nero, rebooted, reinstalled Nero and touch would it seems to have worked :) , I also made sure that the Auto Updates are turned off as they cause more problems than they fix. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to get Windows Service Pack 3 patch for AMD processors to prevent STOP: 0x0000007E error on boot
get it here

Applies to:
Windows XP with AMD processors with SP2 - use before SP3 is installed

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for link mate, I'll have to do that to my mates ACER and give him the option if he wants SP3 to install.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)