Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create a new user account with the same files and folders etc a

• Please log in to reply

adrian3001

adrian3001

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all

I am currently trying to figure out how to create a new user account that is the same as the current. the reason for this is i have a new laptop and some things still show up in the old owners name although ive changed the name etc of the laptop so the only way to completely remove the old owners name is a fresh install or a new user account, however I have all my files and installed programs and games etc.

Is there a way to make an identical user account? if so can anyone tell me how?

Thankyou in advance to anyone able to help

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A new account shouldn't affect the programs or the games, though if you delete the old account it will purge everything in Documents, on the Desktop, etc but the programs should still work. You can't have an "identical" account with the same name.

adrian3001

adrian3001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi

thanks for the reply. I wont be using the same name for the new account so that wont be a problem. So if i create a new account and delete the old one the documents that are on the old account will be sednt to the desktop of the new account, is this correct? If so my problem is solved.

Thanks again

LindaGail

LindaGail

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi adrian3001. You've misunderstood Neil's comment. When you add a new account, the documents, files, etc for the old account are still there. When you delete the old account, all the files will be deleted, no matter where they were stored. You need to copy/move all the files from the old user to the new user before deleting the old account. If you need specific instructions, please confirm the OS.

Hope this helps clear it up.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
For Windows XP follow these steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

for Windows Vista follow the steps listed on this page:

http://windowshelp.m...22001e1033.mspx

Disregard the corrupted part it will work this way so you can have the user name you want. To delete the User Account just remove it from the Control Panel>User Accounts area.

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello,
I realize I'm replying to an old post but I am trying to accomplish the same thing.
I have followed the instruction in MS Support Article. One of the programs I am trying to open is telling me it can only be opened with the user account it was installed with. The program only permits 2 installs, which has be fulfilled, then you have to purchase additional (pricey) licenses. Is there a work around for this type of issue?
Thanks for the help.
V