Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP Connections timing out

• Please log in to reply

pteri

pteri

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've created an FTP server using Filezilla so that me and my friends can download/upload various files to and from my old laptop. I logged on fine with Classic FTP and the Filezilla client yesterday and have done nothing since, but now I can not log on. The connection times out.

I've port forwarded port 21 and configured Kaspersky to allow everything. The server goes on and off a lot, but I don't get why.

I am using DynDNS, so my friends don't know my IP address. I'm clueless about IP address changes, but DynDNS has a program which updates my host everytime my IP changes. I can't log on if I just use my IP address either.

Cheers, Pteri

Edited by pteri, 14 July 2009 - 02:17 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Many ISPs are fussy about allowing traffic to home servers as the majority of them are actually against the terms and conditions of the service. This is more likely an ISP issue.

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yeah, FTP has been very awkward, so I'm giving up.

Are there any other ways of sharing files between far away computers?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically the internet connection will be the limiting factor.
If your ISP has terms and conditions that prohibit sharing files in a server fashion (which is effectively what you want to do), then nothing you do will be of any benefit.

There are plenty of online storage services, free and paid, that would do what you want. Upload your stuff to one of them.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Port Forwarding for FTP usually involves forwarding more than just port 21, you should try toggling between active FTP and passive FTP in your FTP client.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm with neil....the easiest way is going to be the online storage route...assuming you're not sharing massive amounts of files.. i use dropbox for my small files etc.. you can have private files and public files so it's handy for easy access everywhere

also...opening up ports in your router/firewall by portforwarding opens up security risks on your computer...one of the most heavily targeted ports for random/unattended port scanning by infected machines is port 21 because MOST people who are running their own FTP servers ARE NOT running them securely