Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having a problem with windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Packer Fan 12

Packer Fan 12

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi to All,
For the last week or two XP will go blank if it's idle too long, but not always. It's like it goes to sleep , but won't wake up when you want back on. Sometimes when I load my settings it wont's load the bottom tray and just keeps showing the hour glass. Then I have to shut down and restart for it to work. And sometimes it will not load at all and I have to shut down again.

I would also like to know why Norton 360 will not stop adware like clickarrows, fastclick and a few others. I have my scans set to run 3 times a week and I can't get rid of that stuff. Do I have to buy other software to keep my pc clean of this stuff....
Thanks for any help out there... I'm not an expert at this but do try to keep my pc up to date.
XP seems to have conflicks with my HP printer also....

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hey, saw you had no replies so hopefully il help you a bit.

Can you go Start> Control Panel > Power options.
(If you cant see power options then click on the button on the left hand side to switch to classic view)

What settings do you have under the Power Schemes tab? What does it say for standby and Hibernate?

I would also like to know why Norton 360 will not stop adware

I know many people who do not support Norton and in my honest opinion if you buy it you are wasting money. There are so many free tools out there that do a much much better job. If you go to the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum here on G2G you will notice in all of their steps they never say to buy anything.
I would recommend you either get Avast or Avira anti virus and also run SuperantiSpyware. All of them are free. However i wont go into them more as this is not the appropriate place in the forum. :)

XP seems to have conflicts with my HP printer also....

There could be a driver update in this case. Can you give me the model number for the printer.

Packer Fan 12

Packer Fan 12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply..........
I fixed the power settings. I forgot all about those....
I will look into the virus protection info you gave me..
I also downloaded a software and driver up date for my HP...

One thing that I do get a pop-up box on is a windows installer. It wants a file
called hp update msi I will have to try to locate that in a folder somewhere useing
search to see if I even have it on my pc.......

Again thanks for you help, I will let you know if I find it or have trouble installing the
updates......

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok great i'll wait for your reply.

On the front of the missing .msi file you can try and update or repair

Option 1 to repair would be basically update. Go to this link HERE and follow the instructions on how to update your HP updater service. That should repair the problem and get the app going again

Option 2 is to recover the HP updater program using the Software uninstall and recovery application.

Instructions can be found HERE. If you uninstall the Hp Update application and then recover it via the same instructions it should reload the installer file and should update again.

**Then perform Option 1 to update

Packer Fan 12

Packer Fan 12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks I'll try that when I get home....
Bill