Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with startup xp

• Please log in to reply

beiner

beiner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello out there,
Can anyone help me, please? My XP used to work fine, until some vital file (sounds like image of registry) stopped becoming available. As a result, every time I restart, all my settings are lost, windows creates a temporary folder for the new ones (which take ages to put in), and rubs it out on exit.
My Documents and Settings directory exists.
The subdirectory with my user name / administrator exists

but - I apparently described my PC as STUDY at some point in the past. Whatever file / directory was created for that is now lost, and on startup [TEMP.STUDY] is created, to rub itself out at logout. I created Documents and Settings / STUDY (by copying the above-mentioned temp) but that does not help. Can anyone rescue me? Many thanks, GAbbi

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
welcome beiner <_<

have u tried a repair installation of windows xp? just pop in the disk at the boot up and follow the options