Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Desktop has Disappeared

• Please log in to reply

MathGrayUk

MathGrayUk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm new to this site, so please bear with me.

I've recently been cleansing my system with various anti-spyware programs such as Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, etc...Everything was going fine - to the extent that only legitimate processes were running on my machine. I'd got rid of CoolWebSearch and various variants, and was pretty happy with my efforts.

Then I noticed a process called kb32.exe running in the background - I did a search through google, and found that many regard this program as malicious. I deleted kb32.exe using a piece of software called Killbot - which had successfully removed many other intruders. When i rebooted, the XP login screen appeared, the opening music played once I'd clicked on the user profile icon - then the desktop background image appeared - but nothing else. No icons, no taskbar, no start button. I discovered that explorer.exe was not running, and via task manager, tried to run explorer.exe - only to be told that "explorer.exe cannot be found". I'm able to find and run most programs through taskmanager, but its a bit of a pain.

Any advice on how to resolve this problem would be gratefully received.

Advertisements

Boxter72

Boxter72

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the exact same problem but with Windows 2000 NT, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US !!!!!!!!!!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have the exact same problem? What was deleted by you?

And can you run explorer?

Normally, I would say start your own thread, but this appears to have been missed the first time through, so perhaps we can help two people at once

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Mary theres a thread here http://www.geekstogo...do_-t28653.html that sounds like a similar problem, its being analysed as we speak.

Boxter72

Boxter72

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry for posting it here, but i figured if we have the same problem maybe we you can help us at one time. I can not run explorer, and i try to run it and it says "explorer.exe can not be found", all programs work through task manager, but i cant access the control panel, nor the desktop nor taskbar with the start button.

khm15534

khm15534

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a very similar problem. Yesterday I rid my computer of the trojan desktop virus which had made my desktop black with a warning message listed. After following all the helpful directions given on this website, I thought I was free and clear of everything. Well, now the taskbar is being covered up with a long tan bar so that I cannot access the START button. I still have all the icons on my desktop and the smaller icons and clock on the lower right hand section of the taskbar. I'm not sure if this is another virus or not. I tried to talk to an online technician for hp but when I get to their website and choose that link I get a window that pops up and says: "hcp://services/subsite?node=HPNode/HP_Instant_Support. This application has failed to start because the application confirmation is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." Any advise would be much appreciated!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
khm, please start your own thread...as it is, you are still likely infected. You visited the malware section...did you post a log there?

Boxter, where do you stand--I think you should start your own thread too

Hi_its_me

Hi_its_me

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey, do one thing

Start in safe mode and open task manager

Select new task and type regedit

This is the key that needs to be deleted...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe

then close regedit and restart from taskmanager let me know if it works :tazz:

swaste2004

swaste2004

• Pip
  • 3 posts

hey, do one thing

Start in safe mode and open task manager

Select new task and type regedit
This is the key that needs to be deleted...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe
then close regedit and restart from taskmanager let me know if it works :tazz:

View Post

Hi
I have done this but the key is not in my registry

No luck getting explorer to run