Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excellent Network Connection, no internet

• Please log in to reply

mikejett86

mikejett86

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Good Morning .....

So- I just got home from college and turned on my laptop to hop on my 'rent's wireless network and check my email and I connected to the network fine but no internet. I tried restarting the computer a couple times and restarting the router (linksys) and the modem (GI SBC) and still no internet. I tried repairing the connection and that didn't help. I tried to ping an outside line and it timed out on all four attempts.

So then I unpacked my stuff, set up my mac and it found my wireless network, connected and i'm typing this on my beloved mac at the moment but still nothing from my pc on the internet front. How can I fix this? I'm jonesen for some WOW and my mac can't play it just yet.

My laptop is a Dell running Windows XP Pro with an intel built in wireless card with the most recent drivers. On a side note, on the way in town i stopped at my favorite coffee shop where they offer free wifi and i connected there just fine. So it's something between my Dell and the router at home I assume. My mac and my Dell are running side by side too so it's not a signal problem.

I tried searching before posting but couldn't find a post with my problem so I'm sorry if this is a double post and thank you to anyone who can help me solve my problem.

Michael

*edit* Should also note that I'm running SP2 on the dell and tiger on the Mac

Edited by mikejett86, 12 May 2005 - 03:37 AM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Do you get any error messages (Limited or no Connectivity?)? What happens when you type (in Command Prompt):
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
Do you recieve an error message?
When you type your routers ip in the ie address bar, do you go to the setup page? When you type ipconfig /all (in command prompt) do you recieve an IP? Does it list your DNS server? DHCP?
You could try running WinsockXP Fix.
Seems odd to me that this would just suddenly start occurring -- do you move your laptop around often?
Is WEP enabled, and if so, is your WEP key correct (might have been changed at the coffee shop).

mikejett86

mikejett86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i was recieving the limited or no connectivity error message at one time- it's a usual occurance when i come home and get on the network but then i just unplug the router and the modem for a a few minutes then plug them back in and everything works smashingly. This time no avail though.

ipconfig/release gave me the limited message. then ipconfig/renew made that go away but didn't solve my problem.

when i type in ipconfig/all i get an ip address, dns server and dhcp.

running winsockxp didn't help.

I travel semi regularly but never have any problems. I was just at my Dad's and his wireless network worked fine. No issues and he uses the same router model as my mom.

there isn't any security on either of the routers.

i was also getting a fine connection on the wireless networks at school. I've scanned my computer for viruses and spyware and i'm clean.

in the past I've just restarted my computer a few times and then it starts working. or I'll go to sleep and when I wake up it works. but the same thing will happen in reverse where it'll be working and i'll go to sleep and it'll stop working. but lets not focus on the past- lets focus on the now.

also- i'm using firefox, no ie for me.

what if i got a bridge and installed it in my room? would this solve my problem? I know this is more or less throwing money at the problem- but it also solves my problem of having non-wireless devices in my room that i would like to have connected to the internet. If i did want to set up a bridge could i just buy another router and set it to a "bridge" like mode?

thanx for anyone's help

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Did you restart your computer after doing the WinsockXP fix?
Is your Windows Updated?
Try resetting your TCP/IP setting:
Start > Run > cmd > netsh int ip reset reset.txt
Restart your computer.

mikejett86

mikejett86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I've restarted my computer a few times since I ran WinsockXP.

Yes, all updates have been downloaded from M$

and reseting the tcp/ip settings didn't do anything

Billy Bass

Billy Bass

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I had a very similar problem just recently. I was able to access the internet but could only see a limited number of websites and my email stopped working. Like you, I was connecting to my home wi-fi network. The solution that worked for me was to remove Windows Hotfix KB893066.

Now the experts here may have thoughts on whether or not this is a good thing to do. The Microsoft knowledge base article about this is here.

The hotfix is a critical update and is supposed to mend vulnerabilities in TCP/IP but the article also states that the fix could cause degradation in network performance. All I can say is that my internet and email problems disappeared after I removed the hotfix. It looks as if there is a registry tweak that might help but I've not had the time to reinstall the hotfix and play with the registry values.

Hope this is of help.