Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can spotmau repair windows?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I got a new motherboard and only have an OEM XP disk so I can't repair the install so it can use my motherboard. I got spotmau from a friend to hopefully fix it. But after reading the manual I'm not sure it can do that. It can reinstall, but then I'd have to reinstall all my programs and I can't find a lot of those disks to do that (and a lot of them were downloaded online and I'd have to try and find the email receipt which would be a nightmare!)

So, can spotmau do a repair install so my windows will boot up and see my new motherboard without having to lose functionality of my programs?

If not, is there a program that can???

Edited by hoodleehoo, 14 July 2009 - 08:02 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
3 topics all about problems with bootup
Are these all on this same system?

HERE
HERE

And now this topic here. I'm confused as to what is going on. The last topic also was about a new MOBO and doing a repair installation.

Then, unless it is a Microsoft Retail cd (big bucks) and not an OEM (cheaper), you are going to need a new XP install cd as that cd is forever married to the original system it was installed on. Since you changed the mobo, that system is now a "new" system as far as Microsoft is concerned and use of that cd is against their EULA.

Murray

answered with

It's retail. smile.gif So, is there any danger of losing information doing the repair? Specifically, will I have to reinstall any programs?

And your initial post here is

I got a new motherboard and only have an OEM XP disk

Can you explain this please?

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 July 2009 - 08:30 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Please continue here and do not double post.

http://www.geekstogo...e....html&st=15