Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot Recovery

• Please log in to reply

Firebucket

Firebucket

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi there,

I recently removed Ubuntu from my Asus Eee PC 900 through Windows XP, with a partition manager. I figured formatting the partition, deleting it and merging it back with my main partition would do the trick. Oh, I was so wrong. I was fine, just doing normal tasks inside Windows XP... until it asked me to restart for updates. Sure, no problem. But when I tried to boot back into Windows... GRUB appears with Error 17. I can't get back into Windows. I asked some people on a chat server I'm always on (same one as G2G chat :)), and they said get your XP disc, run the recovery console and type 'fixmbr'. The Eee doesn't have an optical drive aaand I don't have an XP disc. Someone on Twitter gave me a tutorial from their site to set up Windows XP Recovery Console on a USB Drive. So I did that. Once I had that all done, I booted into the USB Drive on the Eee and tried fixmbr. Rebooted and still, same problem. I've tried fixboot and bootcfg, trying to set default boot partitions using it, but to no avail. I'm at my wits end. Can anyone help me? I'd really like to use my Eee again.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks
FB

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hey,

Have you tried loading GParted. If you mount the .iso image to a disk and boot to it. Then using the partition editor look and see if the Linux sector still exists. If it does you can delete the partition securely within GParted.