Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using "Microsoft Fix It" workarounds

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
This question actually applies to both Windows Vista (with SP2) and Windows XP (with SP3).

I've used the "Microsoft Fix It" workarounds for some announced security issues recently. For those unaware, these are a workarounds released by Microsoft to disable using something that has a vulnerability until Microsoft can actually release a patch to fix the issue.

My question is--once Microsoft does release the patch to fix the issue (as they have done yesterday for one of the issues), do I have to then use the "disable workaround fix it" provided by Microsoft, or will installing the patch automatically disable the previous workaround?

I noticed that Mozilla has recently done something similar with Firefox v3.5. They've released instructions for a workaround of a security issue until they release an updated file with a fix (v3.5.1). The same question would apply here--would I have to manually disable the workaround after installing the updated version, or is it done automatically?

thanks,
mike

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The whole idea of a workaround is a temporary fix.
If the problem is solved by a patch there is no need for a workaround anymore.

It's kind of like roadworks that close a road. They're temporary (usually) and when the situation they've appeared to resolve has been resolved, said roadworks disappear and you go back to normal router again.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that if a patch is provided, the workaround is no longer needed. What I'd like to know, however, is that, once I install the patch, do I have to manually disable the workaround? Or is it automatically disabled by my installing the patch?

thanks,
mike

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It really depends on what the fix is for and what exactly it does, but as a general rule of thumb once you apply a patch you shouldnt need to worry about the workaround blowing anything up.